6/0 Stainless Gears?

Started by TongassFisher, July 21, 2017, 04:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TongassFisher

Anyone tried these out? I'm seeing them on the big auction site.

Any thoughts good or bad? I'm thinking about trying a set?
IMG_2708" border="0

Shark Hunter

I wouldn't.
Unless they have been tested here.
I think you will be disappointed.
There are some gears out there that are problematic.
I think this is one of them.
Life is Good!

mo65

Pro Challenger's 6/0 gear set is only $20 more...and not a gamble. 8)
~YOU CAN TUNA GEETAR...BUT YOU CAN'T TUNA FEESH~

RowdyW

I agree with Moe on which ss gears to use but I prefer to use the Penn original steel main gear because I like the lower ratio on the larger reels. I think Penn had it right for those models of reels for the fish they were intended to catch. Maybe it would be different if somebody invented a fish that needed ratios to be changed. ;D Maybe you younger guys like to flex your muscles fighting fish with higher ratios but some of us older guys need the help of lower gear ratios for bigger fish. To each his own, that's what makes the world go 'round.           Rudy

TongassFisher

Thanks for the replies, I thought maybe the gears were older and known by some here?

I've had great luck with the BP gears so I will just stick with them.

Thanks,

Trevor

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

handi2

Quote from: RowdyW on July 21, 2017, 03:52:33 PM
I agree with Moe on which ss gears to use but I prefer to use the Penn original steel main gear because I like the lower ratio on the larger reels. I think Penn had it right for those models of reels for the fish they were intended to catch. Maybe it would be different if somebody invented a fish that needed ratios to be changed. ;D Maybe you younger guys like to flex your muscles fighting fish with higher ratios but some of us older guys need the help of lower gear ratios for bigger fish. To each his own, that's what makes the world go 'round.           Rudy

Same here if you can get good ones.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Rothmar2

Have a read of this and keep it in mind.....

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=6363.0

Alan C (Black Pearl) backs his products, and if there are problems, he will work with you to get a satisfactory result. His eBay brand is Pro Challenger. Sal puts this gear to the ultimate test, and the results are posted throughout this forum.

I would be wary of purchasing from anywhere else. My 2c worth.

Shark Hunter

I remember those gears with the Black print on them and the coating flaking off.
Its either penn stock or Black pearl for me.
Nothing else.
I know the people that sell those gears change their name a lot.
Trying to dodge and weave the aftermath of their sub par gears.
Life is Good!

broadway

I have a set of those except they're 4/0 gears ...after I read they were flaking I never used them so I don't know but I stick with BP or stock as Daron... $25 if anyone wants that set.
Dom