Senator 9/0 - need some input on 'upgrades'

Started by *thomas*, May 21, 2018, 03:48:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

*thomas*

Hi all

I have a pair of chinese built senators, a 114H2 and a 115L2. They both have the graphite frame and 5 bolt pattern side plates. I'd like to upgrade at least of them with stronger drag, internals and handle (which to my understanding, can be done quite easily), but would also like to upgrade the frame and if possible, side plates.

If they would still be produced, I'd jump on accuframes and accuplates, but they are not, so what are my options?

I found tiburon as an alternative for the 114 frame, but they do not fit the chinese reel, and cortez for the 115 frame...

If this would mean looking for a USA (8 bolt pattern) senator, that could be done, since they can be had quite cheap.

Thanks all

Thomas

alantani

not sure if you've fished with these types of reels before, but consider doing a full tear down and rebuild first, greasing everything that needs grease, and then fish with it to see if you actually need upgrades.  i generally prefer that guys get a little fishing time in with their reel in the stock configuration before jumping into a bunch of really expensive upgrades.   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Army_of_One

You'd be better off buying a Penn One Piece Aluminum Frame 114H in either width.  They have the same 5 screw pattern (the plates actually have 8 holes, but the ring and frame only have 5 holes).  I would think the Tom frame would work for the newer 115s, you would need different outer rings to allow for use of all 8 holes.  It is the same hole pattern as the Accurate frame, so if one doesn't work neither will the other.
Another day in Paradise!

Shark Hunter

Thomas,
If you wait a while. Tom is coming out with some new products that will fit your 9/0 needs.
I can't say when, but I will say they are worth the wait. ;)
Life is Good!

*thomas*

Quote from: Shark Hunter on May 21, 2018, 04:36:20 PM
Thomas,
If you wait a while. Tom is coming out with some new products that will fit your 9/0 needs.

Ok, guess I'll start with the 6/0 :).

Quote from: alantani on May 21, 2018, 04:12:49 PM
not sure if you've fished with these types of reels before, but consider doing a full tear down and rebuild first, greasing everything that needs grease, and then fish with it to see if you actually need upgrades.  i generally prefer that guys get a little fishing time in with their reel in the stock configuration before jumping into a bunch of really expensive upgrades.   :-\

Hi Alan, I've fished both the 6/0 and the 9/0 mated to 50 and 80 class rods. Used them from the boat going after sharks and rays, and from shore, going after sharks. The main reason for wanting to upgrade my 9/0 is because I want it next to my 12/0 for land based shark fishing (for those shorter drops).

Upgrading the 6/0 would be to use it on a 80lbs class rod and not have the weight of a heavier (larger) reel.

And finally, one has to be honest, I like messing around with things, keeps me busy :).

Quote from: Army_of_One on May 21, 2018, 04:30:58 PM
You'd be better off buying a Penn One Piece Aluminum Frame 114H in either width.  They have the same 5 screw pattern (the plates actually have 8 holes, but the ring and frame only have 5 holes).  I would think the Tom frame would work for the newer 115s, you would need different outer rings to allow for use of all 8 holes.  It is the same hole pattern as the Accurate frame, so if one doesn't work neither will the other.

I was thinking about getting a W frame, can they be had new from penn, any link would be greatly appreciated? And - sorry for my ignorance - what is a tom frame? Thanks

Army_of_One

Quote from: *thomas* on May 21, 2018, 05:07:03 PM
Quote from: Shark Hunter on May 21, 2018, 04:36:20 PM
Thomas,

Ok, guess I'll start with the 6/0 :).

Quote from: alantani on May 21, 2018, 04:12:49 PM
not sure if you've fished with these types of reels before, but consider doing a full tear down and rebuild first, greasing everything that needs grease, and then fish with it to see if you actually need upgrades.  i generally prefer that guys get a little fishing time in with their reel in the stock configuration before jumping into a bunch of really expensive upgrades.   :-\

Hi Alan, I've fished both the 6/0 and the 9/0 mated to 50 and 80 class rods. Used them from the boat going after sharks and rays, and from shore, going after sharks. The main reason for wanting to upgrade my 9/0 is because I want it next to my 12/0 for land based shark fishing (for those shorter drops).

Upgrading the 6/0 would be to use it on a 80lbs class rod and not have the weight of a heavier (larger) reel.

And finally, one has to be honest, I like messing around with things, keeps me busy :).

Quote from: Army_of_One on May 21, 2018, 04:30:58 PM

I was thinking about getting a W frame, can they be had new from penn, any link would be greatly appreciated? And - sorry for my ignorance - what is a tom frame? Thanks

Sorry, the Tom frame is the Cortez.  I don't think you can a new frame from Penn anymore.  I happened to get one off of "that auction site."  It cost way more that way than to find a used one.
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=22117.0
Another day in Paradise!

*thomas*

Thanks for the clarification on the Cortez frame. If it's just a matter of 'holes', than I could also use the Tiburon or Accuframe for the 6/0 and hope to get some second hand (or new old stock) accuplates ...

Army_of_One

Quote from: *thomas* on May 21, 2018, 05:56:43 PM
Thanks for the clarification on the Cortez frame. If it's just a matter of 'holes', than I could also use the Tiburon or Accuframe for the 6/0 and hope to get some second hand (or new old stock) accuplates ...
The one piece frame has a lip that replaces the inner ring on the sideplates. The accuplates won't work with them. Finding a full Accurate HLW won't be easy. One on "auction site" just sold for $350 + shipping. Maybe Tom can do some "New Style" plates for the 114H next?
Another day in Paradise!

*thomas*

I've seen the accurate reel that sold yesterday... I feel a bit sorry for not bidding on it :( seemed like a very good deal.

*thomas*

Need some help here guys. I picked-up a very cheap 9/0 reel from a local website and altough the reel was corroded and very filthy (like in pieces of bait being stuck to it), it'll be in working order after a good clean, grease (and a few new parts).

As stated before, I'd like to upgrade a 9/0 for LBSF and am considering these mods:

- Tiburon handle
- Cortez frame
- stainless gear
- carbonfibre drag

But, should I do these mods to this reel? Or is it just to old? Compared to my 115L (china made) there are some internal differences (bearings) that I noticed.

Thanks guys

Cheers

RowdyW

Thomas, don't buy a wide frame for the 114 because there is no wide spool for the 114, only the 114H. The 9/0 frame from Cortez will work on your 9/0 H2. The rings & plates will cover the unused holes. By the way the last 9/0 you bought is the early style plates with bushings instead of ball bearings. It will not fit the Cortez frame without modifications & there is no aluminum spool available for it, only for the ball bearing models.       Rudy

*thomas*

Quote from: RowdyW on July 05, 2018, 10:17:06 AM
Thomas, don't buy a wide frame for the 114 because there is no wide spool for the 114, only the 114H. The 9/0 frame from Cortez will work on your 9/0 H2. The rings & plates will cover the unused holes. By the way the last 9/0 you bought is the early style plates with bushings instead of ball bearings. It will not fit the Cortez frame without modifications & there is no aluminum spool available for it, only for the ball bearing models.       Rudy

Thanks for your input Rowdy. So the Cortez frame is a no go for the last 9/0, but can I do the other upgrades (drag, handle - yes I guess - , gears).

RowdyW

Yes on the gears. The older 9/0's usually had heat treated steel main gears & SS pinions in them. You can stick with the stock ratio which is not that much different then the SS gears. I don't think that you could break the original steel gears.CF drags are the same as 114H drags or you can go with a set of drags with an insert from 3 Se7ens (Adam). They will give you 9 surfaces of drag compared to the Penn drags which give you 5 surfaces. They will up your drag from 20-25# to 40-45# if you can hold it.  :D  The main gear is the same as a 114h but the pinion is different. Gear sleeves are the same in all 114, 114h, & 115's so all the handles interchange. Remember don't try to interchange parts from a 114 6/0. The 114h has some parts interchangability with the 115. #1 step is to install a SS gear sleeve & SS dog. That is the weakest link.       Rudy

Shark Hunter

Thomas,
If you go with the insert kit. A stainless sleeve is going to be a must. You will round off the brass one with that much drag.
You can sink a lot of Money into a 9/0 pretty quick.
Just a suggestion, but if you are specifically targeting Sharks and Rays.
I think it would be more economical to step up to a 12/0.
A fully hot rodded 9/0 can cost you $600 if you go all the way.
A Bone stock 12/0 with a carbon fiber drag can handle some big sharks.
Life is Good!

*thomas*

Ok, I will look into the SS sleeve and carbon drag first. Thanks for all the help.

Quote from: Shark Hunter on July 05, 2018, 05:17:14 PM
Thomas,
Just a suggestion, but if you are specifically targeting Sharks and Rays.
I think it would be more economical to step up to a 12/0.
A fully hot rodded 9/0 can cost you $600 if you go all the way.
A Bone stock 12/0 with a carbon fiber drag can handle some big sharks.

I bought a brand new 12/0 when I was in Florida last year (much cheaper than in Europe, BUT, it's not really my cup of tea. I'm not a small guy (6ft3' - 230lbs), but I much more prefer the 9/0.