Trouble with my Lexa 400PWR-P

Started by Phishface, June 12, 2018, 05:50:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phishface

What should I do? I love my Lexa 400, its been my go to reel for a while.
Fishing season for Ling's is just starting for me, I go to put my LEXA 400 PWR-P on a rod and I notice the free spool on my reel has disappeared, and it makes a soft grinding sound when I turn the handle.
I pull the left side plate and and am horrified to see the magnet or the set plate is falling apart and rusty.
Chunks of it are falling apart and interfearing with the spool rotation. It's an older model but I have babyed this reel since I bought it. The part seemes to be defective, no other corrosion is anywhere else in this reel.
Rely bums me out.

Gfish

Wow, I'mna haveta check mine---same one, an original version 400PWR-P.
Fishing tackle is an art form and all fish caught on the right tackle are"Gfish"!

Swami805

I think Alan posted one like that in his "what's coming off my bench"thread
Do what you can with that you have where you are

alantani

It's weird.  I think they got a bad batch of magnets.  They can be completely removed. That's what I did.
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Phishface

Hi Alan, with it completely removed did you find it more likely to backlash?

handi2

If removed you still have the cast control knob. I sure couldn't use it without the magnets. I haven't looked at mine. It hasn't been used in a year.

I would contact Daiwa and see what they would do.

Keith
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Phishface

I ended up just cleaning it out the best I could, put it back together and it seems to free spool fine.
Don't know how it's going to cast with parts of the magnet missing, I'll try it on my next ling cod trip and see if it still works. if not I'll just pull the magnet out like Alan did.

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!