San Clemente Island Bluefin 8/13/18

Started by Vintage Offshore Tackle, August 14, 2018, 04:26:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Fujitani

That's a nice BFT!  Congratulations! 

Hard to believe that they don't spawn, even at that size, along our coast.

Fishy247

Awesome job getting that one Randy! What boat were you on?

Mike

Maxed Out

Nice to get a 2nd chance after breaking one off

The tail looks like it's about gone. Is that from slapping bait ??
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

steelfish

The Baja Guy

Islandgypsy

Holy cow (literally), Randy! You've got friends...looks like a cushy private yacht. Now the albacore trip might be a little on the tame side.

-Greg

Dominick

Great work.  I wondered about the scruffy tail also.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Maxed Out

.........let's pray your hot streak will continue for albacore
We Must Never Forget Our Veterans....God Bless Them All !!

alantani

send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

David Hall

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Thank you one and all for your posts.  I had been kicking myself for the past two years for not taking a shot at these big bluefin, which have been MIA in our local waters for most of my fifty-plus years of fishing. 

I was lucky to be included in a six-pack charter on the Limitless, a 44' Pacifica, out of Newport Beach.  I liked the boat and loved the captain and crew, and would recommend them to anyone wanting to do a So. Cal 6-pack.  We did a 1.5 day trip and they went above and beyond the call of duty to give us the maximum amount of fishing time, and to make sure that we had a good time.  They even managed to suppress any signs or sounds of displeasure when I popped off a big fish.  The boat is fully equipped with quality gear and electronics, including side-scanning sonar, which is not common on boats of this size.

If anyone wants to target these fish, I think that it's worth it to bite the bullet and spend the extra money to do a quality six-pack.  You don't get very many bites on the big fish, and the odds are a lot better when you are one of six (or less) than when your Flat Fall is one of twenty or thirty on a crowded sportboat, and you also have a much better chance of getting a turn on the kite.

Thanks again,

Randy

Jigtosser

Nice bluefin Amigo  ;D
2 hookups on the big boys, 1 on the boat, a very good day !!!
I hope you bought a lotto ticket on the way home...  :o
Congrats Randy!
Danny

Caranx

Vintage Offshore Tackle

Tiddlerbasher

STRIPER LOU

Nice RP!!

Another big dog. Beautiful fish and way to go Bud!

...................Lou