Another reel rookie question

Started by pijon, March 09, 2012, 03:29:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pijon

See if I got this straight. Blue grease on the clicker? on the screw threads, on back of side plates and on the gears. What about the rest of the moving parts such as the freespool mechanism? I have been using cals on those moving parts along with the dog. Could I do the entire reel in cals? My reels don't go more than a season without servicing.
I have some blue marine grease in little plastic envelopes and cals drag grease for the drag washers. Is cals a substitute for marine grease or is it too thin?   

I bought a 50h and have taken it down completely and after a thorough cleaning I am in the process of reassembly with ht-100 washers.

So. Cals or blue marine grease on the clicker?  Or does it matter?

D impala95

The Yamaha grease is good for everything except the drags. One thing to think about is that if you use it on the main gears or drive shaft it may migrate into the drag stack. I use Cal's in places where it may come in contact with the drag stack, everywhere else gets the cheaper grease.
I'm a trained killer.
It's killing time but please leave oversize sturgeon in the water.

Don Leitao

pijon

I have a tub of Cals that will likely last me several years.  I only work a little over a dozen reels a season.
Thanks for the reply. If cost is the only issue than I would just use Cals on everything but the bearings. Just get confused about which grease where.

Nuvole

If cost is not an issue to use I don't see why you can't use Cals for everything.
For bearings, it depend if you are casting with your reel. I use oil for small and surf reels.
For trolling reels, I pack all bearing with tacky grease as well.

Bryan Young

You can pack Cals' grease in bearings.  I do on my spinning reels spool bearings because it sits right next to the drag washers.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

pijon

I finished the 50h and used cals on the gears and just about all the moving parts except the bearings. Oil on those. I am just looking for convenience.

wallacewt