349 and 349H Drag Numbers

Started by George4741, July 30, 2012, 08:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

George4741

I finally bought a scale to check the drag numbers on my reels.  So, I checked the drags on my 349 and 349H and got some surprising results.  The 349 gets 29 lb drag and the 349H gets only 18 lb. ??? :o  

I thought I would get similar numbers from both reels, since I used the same sized drag washers.  Both reels have a 1+5 drag stack with 6-113H HT100's or the same sized carbontex washers.  The 349 has a 1:2.1 and the 349H has a 1:3.25 gear ratio.  The 349H also has a much bigger main gear (and drag washers, too) but I went the quick and easy way and used the smaller 6-113H HT100's because I was reluctant to modify some better fitting carbontex. Also, the 349H pinion gear is smaller than the 349.  The modified lever or gear principle applies here.  Given the gear ratios, on the 349H it takes less effort for the pinion gear to rotate the main gear; 349H - 3.25:1, as opposed to the 349 - 2.1:1.  This effort would be offset if I used the larger correct sized washers in the 349H.  

Some 113H washers on the left, 349H main gear, and 349H washers on the right.  I didn't disassemble the 349 to show the difference in gear size, but you can imagine a smaller gear, similar in size to a 113H main gear, and visualize the difference.    

I never planned to use more than 40# line on the 349H anyway, so I'm OK with the drag numbers.  Someday I may install the correct fitting carbontex washers and see what the increase in drag will be.

What is the point of all of this, anyway?  Comparing two reels, with all other things being equal, the reel with the slower gear ratio will probably have higher drag numbers.  I'm sure my initial belief that the 349H with 6-113H drag washers would have the same drag as a 113h is proved wrong. :(  

George
viurem lliures o morirem

alantani

as a very rough rule of thumb, a 3-drag system will give you 15 pounds of drag and a 5 drag system will give you 25 pounds of drag.  once you pass 15 pounds on any of these reels, there is an additional risk of damage to the main and pinion gears.  i will generally crank a reel down the proper drag setting, but no more.  i've damaged too many gear sets just being curious......   :-\
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

George4741

Quote from: alantani on July 31, 2012, 12:17:18 AM
once you pass 15 pounds on any of these reels, there is an additional risk of damage to the main and pinion gears.  i will generally crank a reel down the proper drag setting, but no more.  i've damaged too many gear sets just being curious......   :-\

I'm still curious, ;D but I hear your warning.  I have lost several fish because I cranked the drag down too much. :(  I think I've learned my lesson and once the drags are set to about 1/3rd of the line rating, I will leave them alone.  I do enjoy experimenting at home, though.  
viurem lliures o morirem