Shimano spheros spool play problem

Started by Dawdy, March 03, 2014, 11:22:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dawdy

I noticed some play up and down in my spheros 12000fa reel which i use for jigging so i decided to open it and see where the problem is I found out the main shaft is the part causing the play in the spool so i thought maybe the screws to the worm shaft maybe the problem but they were all good after closer examination i found out part 5838 and 5839(oscillating slider and pawl) are the one that are giving it that loose but i down know what should be done any help would be grateful 

also after putting the reel back together i can feel gears a little bit while reeling the handle is that because of the grease or i didn't put the screws back tight enough there were no signs of gears teeth being in bad condition thank you regards from Egypt link to the schematic

reel schematic
http://fish.shimano.com/media/fishing/SAC/techdocs/en/Saltwater_Spinning/02SP12000FA_ARB_v1_m56577569830641881.pdf

johndtuttle

Hello Dawdy,

This is a tough one to diagnose without seeing the reel and opening it up  :-\...

The oscillating pawl is one of the highest stressed parts in Shimano's design when the reel is used under load and it is one that can wear and cause looseness. If wear is visible under close inspection you have found your answer. Unfortunately getting the parts overseas to Egypt I'm sure is challenging.

This is one drawback to the worm gear systems. They have beautiful line lay and improve casing as they allow a taller spool. But they also introduce complexity and for a reel built to a (relatively) low price they do not hold up as well as simpler locomotive style actions.

best regards

Dawdy

@john that was a fast really good reply thanks alot
do you have any idea of what might be the problem of the feeling of the gears in the handle when reeling which
came up after i opened up and put the reel back together ( not good greasing or sth not tightened up enough?)

also the oscillating pawl doesnt look worn out but i can see a bit of looseness between it and its holder which i think might be the problem
i travel to the states alot and i got my cousins there might be able to order it i guess

thanks again

philaroman

any chance you forgot a shim (RD 0757) -- schematics usually show just one, but the reel may have had several & they're easily lost/forgotten

Quote from: johndtuttle on March 04, 2014, 03:51:30 AM
This is one drawback to the worm gear systems. They have beautiful line lay and improve casing as they allow a taller spool. But they also introduce complexity and for a reel built to a (relatively) low price they do not hold up as well as simpler locomotive style actions.

IMHO, Malaysian manufacture is the "one drawback to the worm gear systems".  Malaysians made budget Shimanos for over a decade before about '05, but were not allowed to make a single worm-gear spinner model -- FOR GOOD REASON!  If you ever get your hands on the original, Japan-made Spheros F from early 90's, I'll bet the worm gear functions perfectly after 20+ years -- it's just a better reel, despite being a "budget" model without instant A/R (BTW, according to old Shimano sizing 6000F would be in the modern 12/14,000 ballpark)

johndtuttle

Quote from: Dawdy on March 04, 2014, 02:30:28 PM
@john that was a fast really good reply thanks alot
do you have any idea of what might be the problem of the feeling of the gears in the handle when reeling which
came up after i opened up and put the reel back together ( not good greasing or sth not tightened up enough?)

also the oscillating pawl doesnt look worn out but i can see a bit of looseness between it and its holder which i think might be the problem
i travel to the states alot and i got my cousins there might be able to order it i guess

thanks again

Very hard to be sure. You can double check the positioning of every supporting bearing in the drivetrain to be sure that they are properly in their receptacles though with Shimano tolerances this is unlikely the source Also, with a loose oscillating pawl its effects may be magnified now that things have been pulled out once. Typically with the pawl it is the nylon bushings that have worn and have to be replaced.

This is another pitfall I believe with the worm oscillation system and that is proper "synchronization" when putting it back together. To be honest I am no expert in this area but I believe the position the reel is in when you took it apart has to be replicated as close as possible due to the interface between the idle gear and the main gear and the worm gear and the oscillating pawl.  The idea is that if they didn't mesh properly you could have a momentary binding that will damage say, the idle gear (typically plastic) and then return to free spinning with a tiny hiccup like you are noticing because a tooth on the idle gear has chipped.

If you can return to the states then ShimanoUSA repair center really is the best and usually very inexpensive. They tend to be very generous with their replacing of parts for little cost to maintain their industry image and typically have a very fast turn around.

You can also try opening the reel again and advancing the main gear a few spaces then closing again to see if you find a better groove for the drivetrain to be in. And while you're in there inspecting the parts for other damage/wear.

best