penn baja special plastic star

Started by skipjackrobert, March 04, 2014, 09:28:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skipjackrobert

Hi folks:  is the process for changing the plastic star to the metal one a big deal?  Also if it is simple, does Alan sell what I need for the changeover?  IE the metal star?

Thanks  Robert

johndtuttle

Simple as can be. Just look at the Baja Special tutorial.

If Alan doesn't have the part you can get it from Penn directly or from mysticparts.com

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

Bryan Young

Alan had 1 left as of yesterday evening.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

akfish

It is easy to do; you just remove the handle nut, remove the handle, screw off the old star and screw on the new star. However, it is fairly easy to strip the threads. Make sure the new star is not cross threaded when you crank it on.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

TomT

Contact Penn.com    When I bought a used Baja Special a couple of years ago, I wrote to Penn.com online and questioned them about buying a replacement metal star, they sent me the replacement with no charge.  Be aware that the metal ones are "coated" and may appear to not be metal.  Good luck and enjoy.
TomT

intili

there is also a small fibre washer involved in the conversion