stainless steel tube for spacer

Started by maxpowers, March 05, 2014, 06:11:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

maxpowers

Hi,

I was thinking of buying some stainless steel tube in 0.500" OD with 0.444" ID cut to about 0.500" length as the spacer for the Jigmasters.  Before I venture down this path, have anyone else attempted this before?  The goal is to give the gear sleeve a bit more support.  I was going to order 10 pre-cut at about $3 each to see if they work and if they do, I may just order the tube and cut it myself.

Keta

It wouldn't support the gearsleve, it's support is the attach point on the shaft, but it is a good idea.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

maxpowers

Hi Lee,

I meant to alleviate  the lateral pressure on the sleeve when reeling under load.  Right now there is more than 2+ mm gap between the spacer and the gear sleeve opening along with almost 1+ mm gap between the spacer ID and the gear sleeve.

Keta

That might help but the sleeve should be free to rotate with the gear and gearsleeve.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

BMITCH

Another issue is most sleeves are not perfectly centered in the opening of the side plate. This I've found on the larger senators like 113h & 114H. I was also exploring this SS option on another thread and due to us using so many different drag washer configs. The length of the SS tube may vary slightly. Unless you have the means to cut SS tube it becomes difficult to customize the length. Unless you Lee  ;)
luck is the residue of design.

Keta

Mark Twain

maxpowers

The tube can be cut with a SS tube cutter.  They are available for $20 to $50.  I ordered the tube in .500" OD with .430" ID and cut to .500".  I can use a dremel to grind down the tube to the length i want.  The standard spacer from Penn is a bit shorter at .485".

maxpowers

The cut pieces came in today an I was not happy.  These are the sloppiest cut ever.  I used a dremel bit and grounded one spacer down to the length I needed and it worked great.  gear sleeve fit very securely and there is very little lateral play.  Maybe .5 to .7 mm all around.  I decided to buy a tube cutter and a 12" section of the tube I wanted and I will post result later.  If it turn out good, I can cut some for people on here if you want.  Just give me the length you need.

bluefish69

Max

Don't tighten the tube cuter too tight you will get a burr on the inside of the tube. Go slow 1/4 turn at a time. I'm a retired Plumber so I know tubing just a little.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.