frozen screw 722z

Started by Doug, March 06, 2014, 11:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug

During these winter days decided to service a few of my penn spinners. I have a 722z I have used on and off for 30 plus years. I have never had to service this reel I know shame on me for the lack of attention. Heres my problem the main cover screw is frozen and I can.t get into for service . I just about tried everything .Before I grind the screw head off and try to deal with it that way does anyone have some advise? My father used to say if its not broken don't fix it every time I didn't listen I had problems. The  reel works like new any advise?

foakes

Hi Doug --

In my experience -- you will probably only have one or two chances to get the screw out in one piece -- without damage to the screw head (and that depends on if there is any damage already.

Generally you can soak the hind end of the reel in penetrating oil for 24 hours -- or a vinegar solution.  However, the cover fits very snugly -- and the screw head fits flat -- so I wouldn't try that -- I do not think it would work.  The screw is made of a soft brass coated with chrome.  And the case is painted.

I am not telling you what to do -- but here is what I would do:

Remove the handle and secure the reel body in a wooden vise with the painted areas protected with a towel or soft rubber like an old bike inner tube.  Do not over tighten the vise! -- but it must be a firm fit because you are going to be putting some pressure on it next.

Make sure you have the proper fitting screwdriver -- hollow ground, not the conventional toolbox variety.  It must fit exactly with no slop all of the way down to the bottom of the head groove.

Then, here is the strange part -- when you have a firm purchase on the screw -- try to TIGHTEN it SLIGHTLY before trying to extract it.  This seems backwards -- but the old timers did this all of the time -- and it generally just moves the screw head enough so you can start to back it out slowly.

If it starts to come out but only comes a little ways -- you might be able to get a little penetrating oil to drip down the shaft -- let it sit overnight.  Wipe it dry and start again

If this doesn't work, and you are worried about messing up the screw -- just get it out by grinding or drilling.  You don't have much room to drill since the entire screw is only 1/4" with an 1/8" screw shaft.  So it would be easy to slip and mess up your case cover -- or go too deep and mess up your frame.  An easy out should work also if you have small bits and access to a drill press.

If wasting the screw is the only way you see -- I would probably carefully cut a deeper, thinner slot into the existing slot (or even perpendicular the the slot) with my Dremel -- then get the right size screwdriver to get it out.

The problem is that it is a soft metal -- and will easily distort.

And I would gladly mail you a new screw if needed -- just let me know.

Then make sure you grease the screw with a grease like Yamaha Marine Grease -- you won't have a screw problem in the future that way.

Best,

Fred

The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

BMITCH

Doug, as Fred said. First and foremost make sure the screw driver fits secure. You may want to give the end of the screw driver a sharp but gentle rap with a hammer while it is seated in the screw head. Then try to tighten it slightly. This may get things moving. If it does then put some penetrating oil on the screw and work it back and forth. Hope it comes free for you. Good luck.
Bob
luck is the residue of design.

bluefish69

I like what Bob said about the screw driver & hammer but put a block of wood under the screw on the other side of the reel high enough to take the weight off the skirt.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Doug

Thanks guys I was so involved in trying to just get the screw to move  I forgot about trying to tighten first. If that fails I'll just grind the screw down until I can break it off get the cover off and if I need some parts scotts still has  some; Thanks Fred or the offer but if I get it apart I am sure I will need something else and  Penn Parts still has some basic parts for 722 in very limited supply. That's one reason I want to fix the reel now while most parts are available. I can use as it is but if something happens down the road I may out of luck . Also Fred does this  cover screw attach directly into the reels main housing or is there something else, I can't tell from the schematic   Doug

Doug

Sorry I just saw the picture Fred sent  and I think Sal posted a tutorial I'll have look  over it again. That 's what makes this site so great I would working in the blind without all the help Thanks again guys

foakes

Hi Doug --

It is possible, since it is operating OK,  that you would not need anything else except maybe a bail spring and a dog spring -- I just completely serviced 6 of the 720/722 yesterday.

They are ones I am getting ready for a show -- and they all turned out running like new.

If Scott's doesn't have everything you need -- just let me know since I have a fairly complete inventory of Penn Spinning reel parts from that era.  I can just send you what you need N/C.

Great reels for many different types of fishing.

Good luck.

Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

Doug

Hi Fred Thanks for the offer I'll keep it in mind  just in case I do something stupid which is likely. I live on a lake and can fish everyday if I want. I was using a 420ss which I like a lot but lately just at the wrong time the spool pops off in the middle of a fight so I went back to the 722z until I can figure out if its me or if something on the 420 ss is worn out   Doug