6000c to 6000c4 conversion

Started by fishhawk, March 06, 2014, 11:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishhawk

Howdy, Can you men tell me if a level-wind from a 6500 c4 fit on a 6000c? The 6000c ambassadeur I'm refering to is a mid-70's, the big A black ones.
thanx

Ken_D

Quote from: fishhawk on March 06, 2014, 11:36:06 PM
Howdy, Can you men tell me if a level-wind from a 6500 c4 fit on a 6000c? The 6000c ambassadeur I'm refering to is a mid-70's, the big A black ones.
thanx

Morning...yes. The worms and shrouds are the same length. If you want, locate a crank boss ball bearing and its spacers, to turn your older 6C, into a C4. Open a 6500C3 drawing from the mid 80's for part nos. There are a couple of spacer styles, depending on the star, as you will see, when opening a couple of "period" drawings.  Nutter Rod and Reel's about the easiest collection to work these days.. they are listed mostly by age.

fishhawk

Does anyone know where I may find this bearing size? Part #20647

Ken_D

Quote from: fishhawk on March 08, 2014, 03:14:55 PM
Does anyone know where I may find this bearing size? Part #20647

It's sleep depravation after the time change, and I have not committed that number to memory... where is that seen in which reel? You should be able to get them at Boca, and VXB. And of course Abu Iowa, for 15.00 a pop.

Edit: found it.... it's the 3 in the older C3's. Amazing what happens after 4 cups of coffee. I have not seen one of those oldies since 2002, so I do not have the size memorized or recorded, having never needed to buy or replace it. Measure the driveshaft in millimeters for the bore and then the OD of the black bushing. The thickness will be seen at VXB. If memory serves the bore is 8 mm. Aftermarket sources include VXB, Boca, AST.  Add: there's a thread here at AT's, with bearing sizes.....somewhere. I'd suspect that this one would possibly be included.  

The bearing washers are unique to Abu.. unless you use two thin washers of different diameters, to make a diy raised shoulder piece to catch the inner race of the bb. Depending on your star, you will need one, or two of them. (Above and below the bb) Open the drawings for the reels around 1988/89/90, to see the variations.
I'd use Nutter's collection, as it's set up in close to chronological order.

fishhawk

lets see here 2002 ken? well its 2014 now and if 4 cups of coffee would refresh my memory of 12 years ago I would drink gallons! lol Like you I just cant recall the size and my mike has been borrowed, so I was hoping for someone would remember. The bearings I have found are waaay too high!

Ken_D

Hi. What I dould do, is contact Jerry Foran, in Florida, doing online business as hookless. He will most likely know the size of the bearing. 
http://hookless.com/index.html    Unless a reader of this thread happens to have such a bb in the pile, that could say.

fishhawk

yea ken you would think someone would feel sorry for us old timers! I have found them online but theyre 30.00. They might be an odd size like the old 6000 bushing reel???
thanx ken I'll call jerry