PG 255 question

Started by Bobsled 55, March 07, 2014, 01:03:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bobsled 55

Does the 255 have a tension washer between the star and the drag spacer?  The schematic shows one there but then it omits an index number.  My reel does not have one. Just wondering if I'm missing something?

TIA

Bryan Young

Quote from: Bobsled 55 on March 07, 2014, 01:03:59 AM
Does the 255 have a tension washer between the star and the drag spacer?  The schematic shows one there but then it omits an index number.  My reel does not have one. Just wondering if I'm missing something?

TIA
I normally take those things out because they are normally of poor stainless and tend to rust.  It's not absolutely needed.  If you want to place a washer there to protect your aluminum star, then any ss washer would work.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bobsled 55

Thanks for the reply Bryan.  One more question, so, I bought a used 255 recently and I opened her up yesterday.  It was really greasy inside.  The reel had 3 carbontex drag washers (with way too much grease).  My question is, would I see much benefit replacing a 3-washer carbontex drag system with a 5-washer carbontex set??  Keep in mind, I'm most likely going to fish 30# with this.

Also, can you possibly post a picture of your 255 with the Pete's spinner handle grip (and handle arm)?  Did you reuse the OEM arm? I don't believe that is posted on here.

TIA

Bobsled 55

Ok, found a picture of your 255 w/ pete's handle here http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=5648.0 (about half way down).  Is the ss arm the Penn 500 version Alan sells?

Crjdrivr

I just put Bryan's 5 stack on my 255. It's works great! Great product! Now waiting for BP's stainless gears and a better handle and it'll be complete!

Bryan Young

Quote from: Bobsled 55 on March 07, 2014, 08:56:09 PM
Ok, found a picture of your 255 w/ pete's handle here http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=5648.0 (about half way down).  Is the ss arm the Penn 500 version Alan sells?
Hi Bob, first, if you are only fishing 30# test, the 3 stack would be just fine.

Second, Alan has 2 handle arms.  One is intended as a replacement for Accurate reels and the other that looks like a Penn Jigmaster power handle arm.  Alan has both.  I really love the way the Penn 500 SS arm came out.  Very classic.  I would put on a 3/0 handle for that reel along with his Penn 500 SS arm.  A great match.  If you have slightly smaller hands and like the hotdog shape, then I would recommend the spinner handles. 
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Bryan Young

Quote from: Crjdrivr on March 08, 2014, 12:39:08 AM
I just put Bryan's 5 stack on my 255. It's works great! Great product! Now waiting for BP's stainless gears and a better handle and it'll be complete!
Thanks.  I'm glad you like them.

Bobsled 55

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 08, 2014, 01:25:47 AM
Quote from: Bobsled 55 on March 07, 2014, 08:56:09 PM
Hi Bob, first, if you are only fishing 30# test, the 3 stack would be just fine.

Second, Alan has 2 handle arms.  One is intended as a replacement for Accurate reels and the other that looks like a Penn Jigmaster power handle arm.  Alan has both.  I really love the way the Penn 500 SS arm came out.  Very classic.  I would put on a 3/0 handle for that reel along with his Penn 500 SS arm.  A great match.  If you have slightly smaller hands and like the hotdog shape, then I would recommend the spinner handles. 
Thanks Bryan,
is that the handle that's on you 255 in the picture in the link above?

Bryan Young

This is the Accurate arm with a spinner handle.

This is Alan's Penn arm for the Jigmaster that will fit that reel as well. The top if the 5/0 grip, center is the 3/0 grip, and the bottom is Penn's power handle for the Jigmaster, squidder, long beach,... reels.

I hope this helps

Bobsled 55

Thanks Bryan.  Have a good day!!