Guidance needed - Tool kit, lubes for Penn, Daiwa.

Started by JA_Angler, March 08, 2014, 01:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JA_Angler

Hello guys. Looking for some assist here. In Jamaica with few options for good reel service. What are the starter tool kit, parts and lubes would you recommend for someone looking to service their own reels - Penn Senators (113H, 114H, 115L2), Daiwa Sealines (900h/910h, 450h, 600h), Daiwa SS Tournament 2600 Whisker spinning reel? The larger conventionals will be used at least once per week. The 900h already has a CF drag upgrade.

I have never serviced a reel before so I need a lot of hand holding. I will be traveling to the USA in a couple of weeks (Vegas and Miami) so please indicate Miami locations, if possible. Thanks guys.

P.S. The wife is not allowing a big budget for this. Can $100.00 start me off?

DaBigOno

Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

johndtuttle

The beauty of these reels is that you don't need much.

1 small slotted screwdriver
1 Penn wrench to fit the handle screws (there may be overlap in the larger sizes, dunno if you need one for each, these also have a screwdriver on one end in a pinch). If you go to mysticparts.com their interface should show you what wrench's work with what models.
1 small tub (2oz) of Penn Grease (for all parts other than drag, but any Marine Grease will do).
1 small bottle (1oz) Corrosion-X (for gear studs and general lube of stuff on outside like free spool lever, clicker knob etc)
1 small tub (1oz) Cal's drag grease (for drag washers)
1 stiffish toothbrush for scrubbing parts that have corrosion, soak brush in corrosion-x then scrub away.

That will cover you for Penn. Just take a look at the tutorial for the Daiwas and see if you need a small adjustable wrench or just what for it's handle nut/screw or if any other special needs pop up. The tutorials should give you a heads up.

Ounce of prevention is gonna beat a pound of cure when you are trying to get parts in Jamaica.

regards

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"

JA_Angler

Thanks so far guys. Any advice on the tools for the Sealines? The special nuts look just like the Senators. Same wrench, right?  And is greasing bearings straightforward by applying with a gloved finger or brush?

johndtuttle

Quote from: JA_Angler on March 08, 2014, 09:24:08 PM
Thanks so far guys. Any advice on the tools for the Sealines? The special nuts look just like the Senators. Same wrench, right?  And is greasing bearings straightforward by applying with a gloved finger or brush?

You might be right about those wrenches I seem to recall. Hopefully Alan or some other pro will chime in.

And yes, back in the day you just packed some grease in the bearing any old way. You can temporarily keep things in decent order by oiling from the outside being sure to work the oil in behind the inner race by spinning the bearing. But nothing beats pulling the shields, cleaning and packing completely with grease for protection.

Be sure to grease the receptacle for the bearing, the trouble is they fill with and then hold saltwater. If you fill it with grease before hand you can avoid this.

regards

wallacewt

hi ja
I tried to put myself in your position,$100  will do it easily

this is a must,i paid $5 at repco,use them on every reel.
some extra sockets
hand screw driver to fit the bits
your in usa get CALS grease for c/f drag washers
its the best
ready made c/f washers from smoothdrag,(if needed)
or sheets and make your own(if needed)
both can be posted,no need to buy them now
marine grease

oil for bearings.
your drag,bearings,corrosion are the main concerns
most other upgrades are nice but not necessary

JA_Angler

Thanks again. Much appreciated. I will pickup the stuff in Miami since import duties here are high unless the stuff is specific to fishing or a couple of other categories.

Kent.