Show your Collections!

Started by Shark Hunter, March 09, 2014, 05:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alto Mare

Ok Tim, how do you get all of this cool info? Thanks for sharing Bud ;).
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

broadway

Wow! thanks for the explanation Tim and the photos and breakdown, Sal.
I'm shocked (no pun intended) that they manufactured this reel in "princess pink." I didn't realize there was such an audience for pink in the deep drop sector of fishing.
I like the free spool lever and the stainless (?) gear sleeve.  Wonder how it works.  Like you guys said, I don't think its a reel for the monster hunt, but may be fun to try out.
Interesting stuff,
Dom

Big Tim

Quote from: Alto Mare on December 07, 2014, 02:55:27 AM

I believe if I told you I might have to kill you or at least fish with you  ;D ;D ;D I am an internet whore an a rain man when it comes to #'s and such. I am a master Harley & Automotive mechanic, I have a love of fishing related items and Harley Davidson & this has lead me to many interesting items, people and life lessons  ;D ;D ;D My Harley collection of pre 1950 parts is 5 times that of my fishing related items & I hope to have it all some day pay for a nice retirement and a life of fishing riding and meeting more interesting people. Come on the Alan Tani Express AND i WILL TELL YOU MORE  ;D ;D ;D

Tightlines667

It's funny, I was actually pondering the use of electromagnets as a super efficient, super smooth alternative to straight friction-based drag mechanisms in fishing reels.  It seems to me that the force would have to be controlled or tuned to spool RPMs though.  A relatively heat-less super powerful, and smooth drag system...sounds like a possible winner to me.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Big Tim

Looking more at the electro magnetic's it definitely looks like the magnetize's the brush on the main gear during a free spool cast??  It is so thin and the leaking of the old batteries were a sure failure... The company actually installed a rubber washer to keep the magnetic's from working in or around 1953, there is even some stories about the company trading reels for melons in the central valley. The company lasted from 1952-56 approximately... Mendota/Firebaugh area is about 30-40 minute drive from my home

Dominick

I have one those Bugatti's.  It is in pretty good shape. Check the photos.  It's for sale $5.00 + free shipping.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

TomT

Tim,
Regarding the Coit reel, the way I remember it is that the reel was dreamed up or designed by and named after the owner of the Coit Ranch in Firebaugh--this ranch was huge.  The owner had died and sometime in the late 60's to mid 70's the descendents came across lots and lots of boxes of brand new in box Coit reels.  A PG&E employee was out there and they offered to sell him as many as he wanted for $5 per reel.  I don't know how many we (the employees of PG&E) bought but I am sure it was in the hundreds.  I personally bought 6 and over the years gave 4 away to friends.  3 of those were given to buddies who have since passed on so their reels were probably given away or sold at estate sales.  I remember trying to use one and never had much luck with it.  Never did understand what the battery was really supposed to do.  I possibly still have 2 of them, but can't tell you where.  The ones I remember were blue, gold and red.  I remember thinking at the time that the aluminum frames were neat looking--at least for the times.
TomT

Robert Janssen

Historian Dr. Todd Larson and his blogg helped a lot.

Just giving credit where credit is due.

I'd like to see the Bugatti reel!

Y'know, a long time ago someone contacted me and said they had an electromagnetically braked reel. I asked for more info of course, but they never did come back with any. It wasn't the Ocean City Inductor, it was something else.

Big Tim

Quote from: Robert Janssen on December 07, 2014, 09:12:02 AM

Historian Dr. Todd Larson and his blogg helped a lot.

Just giving credit where credit is due.

I'd like to see the Bugatti reel!

Y'know, a long time ago someone contacted me and said they had an electromagnetically braked reel. I asked for more info of course, but they never did come back with any. It wasn't the Ocean City Inductor, it was something else.

Good morning and yes Dr. Todd Larson is the source of this information,

Fishing for History: The History of Fishing and Fishing Tackle:  http://fishinghistory.blogspot.com/

When I was deep into collecting of old lures I read many of his blog posts, loved the Friday Funhouse

other great sources of information through the internet is:

O.R.C.A. :  http://orca-online.org/

Robbie Pavey aka Mr Lure Box: http://www.mrlurebox.com/

Joe's Old Lures : http://www.joesoldlures.com/wwwboard/

I have learned a lot through these and many other internet searches & find that the best information is like what Tom T. said about the Coit reel. Real knowledge through meeting the actual people or families of the manufacturer

vilters

Quote from: Shark Hunter on April 11, 2014, 09:07:22 PM
Here we Go! lets see some more of your guys collections! You are holding out on me! ;D
Looking good Lee! ;)

you want MORE?

ok, really cool to find others like myself who dig this stuff! it was fun digging some of this stuff out of storage, haven't seen it for awhile.
more to come also....

Shark Hunter

Ooooh! :o Anniversary Edition 113! Nice! ;D You better hide those mag power's from Sal. ::)
Nice reels Vilters! Very Nice!!! :P
Life is Good!

Islandgypsy

Dandy collection, thanks for the show and tell. Never gets old to see what you guys have been hoarding ;D

Big Tim

vilters

Quote from: Shark Hunter on January 03, 2015, 10:51:36 PM
Ooooh! :o Anniversary Edition 113! Nice! ;D You better hide those mag power's from Sal. ::)
Nice reels Vilters! Very Nice!!! :P

the 970 was my dad's reel. it has a problem w/ the anti-reverse, so it has sat in storage for years. recently, a friend was looking for one & told me about how beefy these little reels are. so it is in line to get "the treatment" after I do some others first. I subsequently found the (near mint) 980 on craigslist for a smoking deal. get some of my best finds in the off-season  8).
here are my acc/tib reels, and my newelled penns, i love how light and strong they are. especially like the narrow kits. Carl was a true craftsman. a few years ago, I sold off all my newell reels, and regret it. I have started rebuilding my collection though.

Boatzilla

These collections look like my version of heaven...
Precision Auto Reels Sales and Service
Mister Chummer Chum Grinders
Dehookers