Spool spinning on 6500C3

Started by Propster, March 10, 2014, 05:23:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Propster

Cleaned and lubed this reel for a friend. Put back together and find that when I reel fast and then stop the handle, the spool continues to spin a bit in the retrieve direction and you can hear the pinion chattering - I assume the slots on the bottom of the pinion are slightly disengaged from the two brake arms and that is causing the noise. What causes this or what have I missed or not replaced properly? The pinion seems to have a fair amount of upward "spring" movement. Is that whole carriage assembly possibly to blame, and is allowing the pinion to come up off the brake weight bars which act the the perpendicular spool shaft pin? Thanks for your help.

jay2578

Sounds like it could be the clutch position holder (the plastic bit with two springy legs) is not correctly installed.
I'd start with that anyway.
Abu 6500 CS rocket x2
Abu 7001i
Abu 6500 C3

Ken_D

Quote from: Propster on March 10, 2014, 05:23:27 AM
Cleaned and lubed this reel for a friend. Put back together and find that when I reel fast and then stop the handle, the spool continues to spin a bit in the retrieve direction and you can hear the pinion chattering - I assume the slots on the bottom of the pinion are slightly disengaged from the two brake arms and that is causing the noise. What causes this or what have I missed or not replaced properly? The pinion seems to have a fair amount of upward "spring" movement. Is that whole carriage assembly possibly to blame, and is allowing the pinion to come up off the brake weight bars which act the the perpendicular spool shaft pin? Thanks for your help.

They all do that. Normal operation. It will only do it on the bench.  You did put it all back together correctly, right, (as per above post where it's indicated you did not)  Take a look at the two cuts on the pinion, and note they are one way, to engage the clutch. When you do what you did, the spool is still going in cast mode, while the pinion engages in reel mode, so the cuts bounce up and down on the clutch.  

The position holder's job is to drop the pinion back down on the clutch as you reel back in, by way of the two stainless "prongers" pushing down on the pinion yoke.  

Propster

I am 99% positive everything is in its proper place. Prior to this reel I did it's twin and it does not exhibit the same issue. Ken, it seems you are saying this is completely normal, that while I can get it to do this now, it won't do it in actual use? That doesn't make complete sense but I may just have to take your word for it.

Ken_D

Quote from: Propster on March 10, 2014, 11:58:56 PM
I am 99% positive everything is in its proper place. Prior to this reel I did it's twin and it does not exhibit the same issue. Ken, it seems you are saying this is completely normal, that while I can get it to do this now, it won't do it in actual use? That doesn't make complete sense but I may just have to take your word for it.

Word. In actual fishing or casting use onstream, you will have the cast button engaged, with the pinion jacked up and away from the spool. On the bench, what you did, the casting button is not engaged, so the pinion will have no choice but to bounce up and down on the clutch. Locate someone with a 7000 Swedish, and do this... it will go for 2-3 seconds brrrrrrrrrrrt all the way. 8)  (heavier spool and line on the 7.)

Dollars to donuts, sight unseen, I suspect your reel carries less or lighter line than the one you tuned. And I'd further suspect the twitchy one could have braid on it. Just guessing.  Reels with braid have a heavier spool than one with mono.

Propster

What kind of donut do you like? While both are braid, the one that spins has about 1/2 spool while the other is nearly full. It still bothered me so I switched the clutch position holder and pinion gear of the "working" reel over the other and vice Versa. Surprise, the half spool still does it and the other still works. Thanks Ken.

Ken_D

Just a matter of curiosity, how did the gearsets sound or feel like with the pinions switched? There's a thread ongoing, where the sport is concerned about that sort of thing, if he just swaps pinions. The gear thing is in here somewhere. http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=10016.0

Propster

Couldn't tell a difference. They each sounded and behaved as they did before their parts were swapped.

Drisse

I have the same problem with an Ambassadeur 6500 CS Rocket. Just serviced the reel and when I tried it it heard this sound when I stop the handle. Never heard it before on any of my own Ambassadeurs. I teard it apart and rebuild it a couple aof times, but still the same....

So I guess I found my answer. Nothing to do about it ?

Ken_D

Quote from: Drisse on May 26, 2014, 03:22:50 PM
I have the same problem with an Ambassadeur 6500 CS Rocket. Nothing to do about it ?

Yup, normal operation for Abus with a heavy spool. 4600's won't do it very often, if at all, nor will 55's half full of 10 pound test. The spool needs to be heavy to provide momentum to break position holder/pinion yoke pressure.

alantani

Quote from: Propster on March 10, 2014, 05:23:27 AM
Cleaned and lubed this reel for a friend. Put back together and find that when I reel fast and then stop the handle, the spool continues to spin a bit in the retrieve direction and you can hear the pinion chattering.....

this is totally normal!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!