114 HLW Drag Problem

Started by Puddle Jumper, March 11, 2014, 02:44:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Puddle Jumper

Hey guys I have a drag problem I want to run by you,,,

I purchased this almost new 114 wide for a steal and I'm setting it up for shark fishing,, I went through the reel and did a full service on it,, ordered a stainless gear sleeve, dogs and a carbon fiber bottom drag washer from Alan, greased it with Cals re-assembled and pulled the drag to see where my drag pressure was after all my work,,, pulling the drag I felt a rough feeling when the drag slips, pulled it back apart about a dozen times and not having any luck getting rid of it,,,

I have polished the bottom and top of the of the AR gear on the Gear sleeve to get rid of slight machining marks to 1000 grit, , polished the bottom and the inside of the main gear, cut the bottom drag washer smaller thinking that the it might be grabbing the AR dogs or gears as it slipped, checked and double checked the drag stack order and to make sure it was installed properly, the AR dogs are working properly you can hear them clicking nicely,,

No Luck,, the only thing I can think of at this point is, I'm Feeling the gears meshing a little rough, is this a normal feeling for these big Senators??
I have worked on mostly smaller reels,, Is it like this because the gears are a little rough and not seated being fairly new..Oh and it pulls 22lb of drag easy,and relatively smooth other than this rough feeling,,, and with all the things I have tried it is exactly the same no difference at all, its not bad and I don't think it will hurt but its bugging me that I cant find it...

I'm Stumped,, ???
Thanks for the help..
PJ

Bryan Young

Try inspect the gears. You may have a little dirt in the teeth of the gears. Clean them and re grease and try again.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

DaBigOno

Quote from: Puddle Jumper on March 11, 2014, 02:44:34 AM

... pulling the drag I felt a rough feeling when the drag slips, pulled it back apart about a dozen times and not having any luck getting rid of it,,,

I'm Feeling the gears meshing a little rough, is this a normal feeling for these big Senators??

Is it like this because the gears are a little rough and not seated being fairly new..Oh and it pulls 22lb of drag easy,and relatively smooth other than this rough feeling

PJ, just want to clarify what your concern is...  

When are you feeling this "rough" feeling?  

Is it when line is being pulled off the spool? Or is it when you're reeling line onto the spool?
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Shark Hunter

I don't have that problem with mine PJ. I have four. I really don't think its anything to worry about. You either have something in the gears as Bryan said or your drag stack needs set a little better. I'm sure after a Shark takes a big run, It will be smoother. You can always upgrade to the Black Pearl Gears, which is what I have in two of them. One is the Hex Gear which can pull 50lbs of drag.

Life is Good!

Bryan Young

Whenever I service a reel, I gradually tighten the Drag then pull line. Reel it back up and repeat about 3-5 times and about 10 times for larger reels. This helps seat the drag washers and embed the grease in the washers.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Puddle Jumper

Sorry for being gone for a couple of days..

Ok I wanted to get back to the house so I could test out axactly what going on,,,
When the reel is in free spool "like casting " it's silky smooth when you pull off line,,
When you Engage the reel and crank the handle it smooth as well,,

When you are pulling drag out that's when you feel the rub , I backed the drag almost all the way off and can still feel it so I don't think it's drag pressure related, I have been trying to come up with a good way to describe it and it may sound silly but the only way I can come up with is , take your fingernail and run it across the grain on you blue jeans, it has that rough feeling,,

???
PJ

Newell Nut

I have a pair of the 114HLWs built by Sal and they are smooth as silk so your problem is not typical of larger reels. I can't trouble shoot it for you but we have Penn pros that will get you fixed up.

Shark Hunter

Have you tightened the spool bearing on the non handle side? Sounds like it might be a spool or bearing issue, since it doesn't do it all the time. Can you move the spool side to side at all?
Life is Good!

DaBigOno

Quote from: Puddle Jumper on March 12, 2014, 09:34:42 PM

When the reel is in free spool "like casting " it's silky smooth when you pull off line

When you Engage the reel and crank the handle it smooth as well

When you are pulling drag out that's when you feel the rub

I backed the drag almost all the way off and can still feel it so I don't think it's drag pressure related

How does the yoke and clutch springs look??
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Cone

Is the gear or drag stack rubbing the side plate? There should be rub marks on the plastic if it is.
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Puddle Jumper

Quote from: Cone on March 14, 2014, 03:52:20 AM
Is the gear or drag stack rubbing the side plate? There should be rub marks on the plastic if it is.

That's something I'm going to have to check..

How does the yoke and clutch springs look??

They look new,, I even "ramped" the yoke a little the make shifting in and out smoother...

Thanks for the suggestions and ideas...
PJ

SacFly

You say that when you reel line in, it is smooth.  Do you do this against any real resistance on the line?  I don't know that particular reel, but maybe you have a bad bearing, and you only feel it when you have some real pressure on the spool, like when you pull off the drag.

Try reeling in against some weight and see if it's as smooth as free spool.