Opinions please. Fiber vs carbon fiber drag washers

Started by FishnNauru, March 11, 2014, 06:41:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FishnNauru

Hey gang,
So have an Alvey reef master deep sea winch that I use 3 times a week usually, its a beast and awesome fishing tool, for trolling a yozuri diveboard, and or bottom fishing with multihook rigs, and trolling in general.
Anyway I just got some cals drag grease to me in Nauru and wanted to check the drag system in it, and regrease it with cals grease. Each side looks like the below pic.
5 fiber washers, reddish in colour and 4 brass washers. I assume the fiber washers are not carbon fiber. I have not called alvey to ask. I would need 10 carbon fiber washers if I was going to replace the lot
My question is do you think it is worth replacing the fiber washers with carbon fiber washers?
I took measurements and will check into it if its doable, and would make a noticeable difference. The drag functions well, but I would say it suffers from abit of start up. I have not tested it with calls grease yet, it had regular grease among the drag washers when I pulled it apart.
Let me know what you think, and why.
I have the gift of taking a small job and making it into a big job!

wallacewt

hi fishnnauru
i dont think you will find to many on here
that have ever seen an alvey deck winch
you will need an aussie to chime in
changing to c/f will make it better in my opinion.
i turned my alvey into a downrigger,ill change the
washers when i get it back.i lent it.
do you have a schematic of the reel
also whats the thickness of the fiber washers

FishnNauru

The fiber washers are .95mm think.
I have used the winch for a dowrigger too, but the ball was abit annoying for me, especially when trolling faster. The fiber washer dimensions are in the first pick...if you can read my writing :)
31.81mm Outside diameter
13.74 inside diameter
.95mm think
I'm mainly just looking for opinions if carbon fiber will make the drag smoother.
Thanks Wallace

wallacewt

yes it will
whats the model # of the reel
i may be able to help
that biggest washer on the left is that rubber

FishnNauru

The model is a 1225RMLC
D7CRM is the part number off the schematics for the fiber washers.
All washers are fiber, there are 5 each side, meaning 10 for a total replacement.
Thanks for your help Wallace

Magilla

If it was mine and I was using it for the fishing you are doing I would clean the original washers and apply some Cal's and see if it makes a difference. I think you may be happy with the results. I don't think the extra performance of the CF washers would be worth the cost on a reel like the Reef Master.
The best things in life are not things.

FishnNauru

Thanks magilla, I will hopefully see if cals grease made any difference tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

wallacewt

hi fishnnauru
i checked out the schematics for your reel
they are a awesome bit of gear
try the greased fiber washers like magilla said
and if you are not happy let me know
make sure the metal eared washers are flat
i have some laminated off-cuts we should be
able to put to good use
cheers mate

FishnNauru

Well I gave the winch a go greased with cals drag grease and I think it was better , but the fish were quiet so the drag was only lightly used letting out line, not fighting a fish, so a fish will be a real test, whenever I get a winch bite.
Right now not finding any suitable size carbon fiber washer for replacements anyway.
Thanks for your help gang.

wallacewt

measure the thickness of the 5 fiber washers together
and let me know
about 4.75,is that correct?

FishnNauru

Yep I reckon that's about it Wallace, they probably started out about 1mm each, with a few years of wear later :) 5 washers each side of the spool with brass washers in between them for a total of 10.
I got an email from alvey, they do not sell carbon fibre washers for the winch. They do have Teflon washers, but say they are too slick to apply much in the way of drag pressure.

You mentioned laminated cut offs Wallace, are they carbon fibre cut offs?
Appreciate your help champion :)

wallacewt

yes they are
can you make them yourself

OldSchool

Quote from: FishnNauru on March 11, 2014, 06:41:45 AM

My question is do you think it is worth replacing the fiber washers with carbon fiber washers?

FishnNauru, I have never changed out an alvey but I have changed out a lot of other reels that had fibre,leather,asbestos, and other unidentified materials for drag and in all cases the carbon fibre was notably smoother and drag pressure was either the same or higher. I think the most beneficial feature of the carbon fibre is its smoothness.

FishnNauru

Thanks for the input old school.
I think the drag grease really helped and the drag is smoother. Had a hoo and small tuna on yesterday and all was well drag wise.
Have not messed with carbon fiber before Wallace, so not sure what is needed to cut out the right size washers from carbon fiber. I have a generic Dremel  tool of sorts but have not used it much. Can it be cut with scissors or is it too though for that?
Thanks all

wallacewt

hi fishnnauru
i was experimenting the other day
cutting out the centre holes with
wooden drill bits.flat ones
they have a sharp point for centre,2 cutting teeth
on the outside of the blade
they cut the perfect hole without
jamming on the break through
scissors work fine for od,old washer for template
for the eared washers i use nail clippers
you can score the sheets with your vernier,lock it,