Shimano Drag Grease

Started by Prefessa, March 11, 2014, 06:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prefessa

Guys:

From the Hey Day of Newells...Carl started the practice of useing the old Newell Sea Guard as a general grease so as to not contaminate drag washers...

I did this using the little supositorys of grease that came with a newell...on Penn reels with HT-100s. While the Drag performance was excellent...The gears were not well protected and started to grind.

Is the Shimano stuff different?? Right now I use shimano grease on carbon drags...and Super Lube Grease on Gear teeth...

Is this the way to go?? Or should I use the shimano product like our beloved Carl reccomended for his reels??

DaBigOno

Prefessa,

I've never used Super Lube Grease myself, but have been curious about it. 

What is your opinion of it?   It seems reasonably priced at $15/lb.

I use the blue Penn stuff I paid $20/lb., so it seems like it might be a good alternative.
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Keta

Cal's and Shimano grease can be used on bearings and gears as well as drag washers.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Prefessa

Quote from: Dabigono on March 13, 2014, 06:23:31 AM

Prefessa,

I've never used Super Lube Grease myself, but have been curious about it. 

What is your opinion of it?   It seems reasonably priced at $15/lb.

I use the blue Penn stuff I paid $20/lb., so it seems like it might be a good alternative.

Been using it for years and I believe it far superior to Penn Blue Grease and have side by side data supporting it. Many years ago "Newell Sea Guard" was the only drag washer compatable/reccomended lubricant and I used to scour local dealers and tackle shows to get the little tubes they gave you with the reels.

I have to say it really was not up to the task for gears, and perhaps that had to do with climate here in the NE.

Suber lube grease is GREAT STUFF.....dont like the oil or spray...