Holy error in your favor Batman!!

Started by Ron Jones, March 12, 2014, 04:33:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ron Jones

So,
My lovely wife won me aniversary presents on ebay. The reels were listed as a 500, a 501 and 2 113Hs. What arrived today is a 501, an albacore special and 2 yellow tail specials! They all have full Newell kits except gears and the Jigmasters have long cast bushings. I'm needlessly jumping out of my skin. There are of course issues. I had to work to get the 501 side plate off and when I did I saw no lube AT ALL and a rusted steel gear. I can't get the Albacore Special's side plate off and would love some help with that. Anyway, I now have lots to do and at least 2 more reels going on the Ohana trip.
Pretty cool.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

Life is Good!

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bryan Young

Great surprises are always worth tearing apart and investigating.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Ron Jones

Anyone have any recomendations on getting this side plate off? I've messed with it long enough to be concerned I might damage it if I go further.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Keta

Either mix up some 50/50 ATF/Acetone or buy some Kroil and put enough on the screws so it can soak in.  Do not put the ATF/Acetone anywhere it can get on plastic parts.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Ron Jones

Lee,
I can pull the thumb screw out without effort, but once it is out the plastic sideplate won't budge.
Thanks
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

bluefish69

Tap the Brass with something to break loose the salt & old bait that's stuck in there
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Shark Hunter

Ron, I would spray the whole reel down good with WD-40 and let it sit for a couple hours. Then give it a few small love taps around the side plate and see if it will turn. Its probably crusty in there around the inside of the ring. The WD shouldn't hurt the plastic.
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

Thi 501 is turning into a consternation. I have got it apart by applying clockwise and counterclockwise pressure, it has a chrome bridge and a steel gear in good shape. It seems the right inner chrome ring is too small for the Newell spool. The spool won't come out and everytime I try to put the reel together the spool binds on the right side to the point it won't spin. Going to be fun.
Ron
Ronald Jones
"

DaBigOno

Quote from: noyb72 on March 12, 2014, 04:33:20 AM

My lovely wife won me aniversary presents on ebay. The reels were listed as a 500, a 501 and 2 113Hs. What arrived today is a 501, an albacore special and 2 yellow tail specials!

Sounds like you got a better deal than she bargained for.  I love the Albacore Special 99's.

Got Pics?
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono