Daiwa saltist lever drag 20h

Started by Brute347, March 12, 2014, 07:30:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brute347

Hey guys,

So I went fishing this past Monday and tried out my new saltist ld20h. I noticed that after setting the drag reeling in became more stuff/difficult- is that normal. There is tension when reeling after you've adjusted/set the drag on the reel. My brand new torium 20 doesn't do that- thus the question- is it normal?? Hmm...

Thanks in advanced for the replies

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

post this in the Daiwa Reel Rebuild Tutorials and Questions that way you'll get more responses. hope this helps...

johndtuttle

Quote from: Brute347 on March 12, 2014, 07:30:30 AM
Hey guys,

So I went fishing this past Monday and tried out my new saltist ld20h. I noticed that after setting the drag reeling in became more stuff/difficult- is that normal. There is tension when reeling after you've adjusted/set the drag on the reel. My brand new torium 20 doesn't do that- thus the question- is it normal?? Hmm...

Thanks in advanced for the replies

What you have done is increased the "preset" so much that it is causing binding of the pinion bearing which leads to the increase in handle turning pressure.

You have to back off your preset until there is no pressure felt. If there is pressure you are damaging the pinion bearing with every handle crank and it will soon have to be replaced. If you reset to this new setting, you likely will still be damaging the pinion bearing if you go from there to full. Consequently, the use of the full drag setting in these designs has to be used rarely and only when absolutely needed.

The best new designs (like the Penn Torque LD and the upcoming Fathom LD) use thrust bearings to protect the pinon and spool bearings from these axial loads. The Daiwa design is going to be limited to lower preset drag at "strike" to prevent damage to the reel.

No two ways around it.

SoCalAngler

X2 on what John said.

The Saltist 20 and 30 LD's including the 2 speeds are rated for 13lbs of drag at strike. So check the drag pressure with a scale and stay at or below the 13lbs at strike.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

good, somebody moved the thread here. thanks whoever you are... :)