Older 6000C help/question

Started by KYwoodsman, March 12, 2014, 09:35:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KYwoodsman

Hello folks, I have a question about a reel I am working on for someone. The reel is an older black 6000C. It had the super slow gear ratio main gear in it and he wanted to speed that up. I ordered the new main gear and pinion for it to up the geat ratio. I have got it back together now but it takes exactly one half revolution of the handle before the reel is fully ingaged. My collection of reels is packed up right now for an upcomming move so I can't check it against one of my older ambassadeurs, to see if this is normal or not.
So my question is, is it normal that it takes it a half turn to ingage or is this something that I haven't done right and does anyone know what I can do to correct this. If anyone has any thoughts or ideas on this I would love to hear them, thank you.

KYwoodsman

I also should have added that it isn't super smooth when it engages like all of mine are it seems to hang up/rub before it engages. Not like you have to force it but I can definately feel it rub as it kicks in.

Ken_D

Hello. What's the part numbers for the new gearset, and do you have a frame number off the reel foot for the parent 6C?
Does the brake plate on yours use three springs, and two arms like the Swedish 7000? Or...?

KYwoodsman

OK folks I dug out one of my personal 6500C high speed reels from the 70's to compare this 6000C to. The handle spins the same half turn before the reel ingages on the 6500 and the 6000C. My only concern now is that when I turn the 6500's and even my personal black 6000C that is just like the one I am currently working on, the handle turns super smooth untill the reel ingages. On the 6000C I upgraded to the 4.7:1 gear ratio it has a bit of "vibration" for lack of a better word. I am sure what I am feeling is the main gear or pinion rubbing somewhere. Now it's not hard to turn or engage but since I am working on this for someone I want it perfect. Any ideas? It has to be from changing the main gear and pinion since it didn't do this before.

Ken_D

Did you keep the old gearset to compare size and profile of the main and pinion? Abu had several spool designs back then, and if the new pinion is not the same as the old one for shape and fit to the spool, ........it will not grab the way its supposed to, or fit as low as it is supposed to.         

As regards the long time to engage: sounds like a spring thing. Open the 6000 tutorial first page in the abu forum, and see about what spring fits where, and possible stretched/weak one.  http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=796.0

What about the yoke on the brake plate? Did your old pinion fit the yoke bare, no plastic collar? Does the new one have a plastic sleeve on it?
Does it fit the yoke?  Remember... all this is sight unseen, which at the best of times is not very easy to diagnose....especially on reels as old as yours.

Possibly another reader of the thread picked up something not discussed yet. If so... c'mon in. The water's fine.

Ken_D

RE the vibration on the 6000 you are sensing: It just may be that the gearset is not worn into each other yet. I have had  (not every time but on occasion) present day replacement gearsets vibrate for the first few fishing trips or so, till of brass come away/get smooth, and the set gets past the honeymoon.

KYwoodsman

Thanks a million for the tips Ken, I know it's not easy like you said without having the reel in your hand. I am thinking it may very well be that they just need to wear into each other as it's not bad, just noticeable.
I love this forum, it's so hard now a days to find someone who knows the older ambassadeurs well, let alone a bunch in one spot.Great forum Alan!

Ken_D

Quote from: KYwoodsman on March 16, 2014, 04:22:23 AM
Thanks a million for the tips Ken, I know it's not easy like you said without having the reel in your hand. I am thinking it may very well be that they just need to wear into each other as it's not bad, just noticeable.
I love this forum, it's so hard now a days to find someone who knows the older ambassadeurs well, let alone a bunch in one spot.Great forum Alan!

Ya,,, Both here, and at the striper's forum, lots of abu folks. I'd lube up the gearset with something really gooey, like STP mixed with white grease 80-20, for the first few trips...then flush and relube with the same, or the lube of personal choice. I have limited Abu knowledge, mostly with the round reels, I'm not working, so I can get to a post early.
I am bringing in some tungsten disulphide to add that to oil and grease. Cheers, KAD.

bassnwhaler

Next time you are sitting around load those gears with Colgate toothpaste (or of your choice) and crank away for an hour or two. Then clean it all out, re grease and voila! Smoooooth.

Bassnwhaler