Treasures at the museum!

Started by Mandelstam, March 12, 2014, 06:34:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandelstam

I promised Sal a while back that I would go to this museum and snap a few pics of the tuna gear they have there. It's a small fishing and maritime museum in a town/village, Råå, in my area. Öresund, the strait between Sweden and Denmark had some big BFT in the 40's-50's. Attracted fishermen from all over the world. Well, this museum has a fighting chair and two rods with reels from one of the charter boats that had Råå as home port. I went to visit the museum today as I, by pure chance, had a business meeting at the museum. I talked to the chairman of the museum and it happened to be her father that was the charter boat captain that donated the gear. I actually snuck out from the meeting to go see the gear and to snap some pictures. :)

The platform with the fighting chair with rods mounted to it. The boat in the picture isn't the original charter boat.

The big 16/0. A 362kg (800lb) BFT was caught on that rod and reel. The reel on the other rod was a meager 14/0. ;)

The 16/0 and rod

The 14/0

Wire leader and hook

Leather wrapped handle

Detail of the rod with the big 16/0

I couldn't find any label on the rod, but I found this patent number

And after a quick google search I found this

http://www.google.com/patents/US2104494

It's a Frank M. O'Brien (Tycoon Tackle, Miami) laminated rod, patented in 1938. It has a oval cross section instead of a round one. Very beautiful rod!
http://www.igfa.org/Museum/HOF-OBrien.aspx

Finally a box op finest quality Tuna Line, made from linen. 108lb dry test.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures! It was a very nice little museum with some really nice collections of all things maritime and the business around it.

Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Ron Jones

Wow,
Thanks for that, great way to spend a morning.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

very interesting! thanks for the tour...

Shark Hunter

Good Stuff Karl!  ;) Thanks for Sharing! ;D
Life is Good!

Dominick

Karl:  Thanks for the tour.  It sure is interesting.  I trust that the business was fruitful or you would not have sneaked out for the museum tour.  I am so glad you are out of your funk.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Ron Jones

Sail trolling for bluefin tuna, sounds like a dream to me.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Alto Mare

Thank you so much for bringing this to us Karl, I really enjoyed it....cool stuff ;).
They probably had to come out and get you, to finish business meeting. I know they would have , if it was me standing there ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Mandelstam

It was really cool seeing it like that, mounted on the boat. I could see myself sitting in that chair, deckhand feeding me smokes, in my tweeds, while battling the great blue fin. And that O'Brien rod was amazing. Laminated hickory, snakewood and bamboo in perfect harmony! And if I know my traditional bowyers bible enough, I'd say that those are classic bowmaking materials.

;D

/K
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

wallacewt

Shark Hunter

Quote from: Mandelstam on March 12, 2014, 09:31:10 PM
It was really cool seeing it like that, mounted on the boat. I could see myself sitting in that chair, deckhand feeding me smokes, in my tweeds, while battling the great blue fin. And that O'Brien rod was amazing. Laminated hickory, snakewood and bamboo in perfect harmony! And if I know my traditional bowyers bible enough, I'd say that those are classic bowmaking materials.

;D

/K
Don't forget your Captain Haddock hat! ;D
Life is Good!

harryk3616

thanks for sharing karl,  neat stuff so long ago.

doradoben

Irish Jigger

Great report Karl,thank's for sharing.
The company that made the "Tuna Line" made Dacron braided fishing line until quite recently.

DaBigOno

Thanks for sharing Karl, that was fun!
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Bill B

thanks brother...always way cool to see the old stuff preserved and on display....now need to change my shirt due to excessive drool stains.. :-)
It may not be very productive,
but it's sure going to be interesting!