Comparing both generations of Newell P220F

Started by doradoben, March 12, 2014, 11:24:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

doradoben

I know there were two different production runs of the P series. I read the stickied thread about Model # Code that had some excellent posts about changes  between the various letter groups. My questions have to do with the second P series that were probably built in the early 2000's. Other than the drag washer 4 stack becoming a 3 stack and probable differences in the gear sleeve, fasteners & hardware, were the rest of the components similar? Did the later P220 reels have aluminium spools, bases and clamps? 

Newell Nut

The newer ones have a better grade of aluminum to resist corrosion in salt water. This is found in the handle and the star. The front and rear post bars have a straight drilled hole rather than chamfered holes. The new ones do not have the SS gear sleeve. The new ones do have the aluminum spool and base.

doradoben

Thank you Newell Nut. It's in nice physical condition. Looks very low mileage, but has the early bars with chamfered holes and almost no free spool. I may have time tomorrow to go to the park to see how well it casts and then look inside..  

doradoben

I mounted the reel on a 7 ft. rod and went to the local park early the other morning. There wasn't anybody at the park, so I cast and retrieved a 2 oz. torpedo sinker for about 10 or 15 minutes. That was more than enough to hear all of the noises. I went home and disassembled the reel. It was in surprisingly good condition considering what it sounded like when casting. The reel was almost completely dry of lube inside. I serviced the complete frame and internal components as per Alan's tutorial. The reel had Newell drag washers that didn't show much wear, but 2 of fiber disks were stuck on one side to individual metal washers. This made the drag extra jerky. Adjusting the drag star resulted from low drag to way too much drag very quickly. A set of HT-100 6-309SP washers coated in Cal's grease eliminated the problem. The reel was easy to service and assemble and I tested it after completion. Casts better, drag performance is much improved and large reduction in noises. It does have one spool bearing that I can still hear when spun in free spool, so I'll order a pair from Boca tomorrow. Interesting how much difference some grease can make.     

bluefish69

I use Abtec 5 Bearing & service my work reels 2 times a season. The Abtec 7 are good but too much money. I store my spare SS Bearing in a jar with TSI 321 after cleaning.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

doradoben

Thanks Bluefish. Those are the same as what is in the reel now. I'd already looked up the part number and will order them them tomorrow..

Tunacious

So, besides the posts being early P's what did the internals look like? Which P series did you get? Inquiring Newellies want to know... :o

Quote from: doradoben on March 17, 2014, 03:13:42 AM
Thanks Bluefish. Those are the same as what is in the reel now. I'd already looked up the part number and will order them them tomorrow..

doradoben

Tunacious, it seems to be a second generation reel. It had a brass gear sleeve and a 3 stack. Everything inside was in very good condition, seemed of the same vintage and nothing looked like it had been replaced. On the outside, the plates, logos, handle, hardware and stainless are nice and have minimal wear. The base and clamp may have been changed because they are both graphite. That is why I asked about differences in my original post. It really doesn't matter to me because I'm not even remotely a collector, just going to fish it in So, Cal. 

Tunacious

Sounds good...enjoy the reel. You can easily get an aluminum base and clamp if you so choose. You may also want to consider getting Bryan's 5 stack drag system.

Hamachi

Recently bought a p235f turns out the spool and base are graphite. Brass gear sleeve, stuck smoothies only other things I noticed. And a plastic star. The stainless rings look to be of lesser quality as they have rust underneath. Crossbars are beveled and showing light corrosion near the stainless.
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!

Newell Nut

I have seen that before on P235s. If you look at the pictures carefully you can see they have the wrong base on them and if the base is wrong you don't know what else. Gregg Chow tells me there is no way they came out of Newell that way but I have seen quite a few of them on ebay. Only in the 235 size.

Tunacious

3 words...Know your seller! There's lots of "vintage" Newells out there being sold as "original" but in reality they aren't. I remember being taken once by a guy selling an all original Newell. I could see the ss jack handle, alum base, spool posts and metal clicker button. The guy also had the right sideplate off so I could see the recessed main gear sitting on the fixed ss washer. When I got it home and removed the left sideplate, it had the plastic clicker dog and spring. It had the metal clicker button on the outside of the reel but the insides were plastic. I hate guys that lie. But I did learn.....buyer beware.

Fleabay has quite a few "original" Newells on sale that you can tell just by looking at them that they're not. Some of it, hopefully most of it, is just honest ignorance. Know your seller... ;)

Quote from: Hamachi on March 29, 2014, 09:24:01 PM
Recently bought a p235f turns out the spool and base are graphite. Brass gear sleeve, stuck smoothies only other things I noticed. And a plastic star. The stainless rings look to be of lesser quality as they have rust underneath. Crossbars are beveled and showing light corrosion near the stainless.

Hamachi

I knew going in it was a second generation p , but I still bought it. Have a couple of original p's bought new in the mid eighties I think, so I know one when I see one. The price was right, $115.00 so I can't complain too much. Got these cf ht-100's that have a hard fiberglass core for under gear washer. I think they call it 6-113 small, good for a lot of reels, most without modification. The green smoothies back then were worse than the old worn out drags they replaced. The white shimano washers cut down were considered the best at the time greased, we used to call them "wet drags" back then, remember? I'm still finding these in some of my reels I thought I changed out long ago. Grease 'em back up and they're good to go. Die-hard old school, hard headed like a brick wall. Keep up the good work, guys, you're doing a terrific job. The amount of knowledge on your forum is mind boggling to say the least. Thanks again,
                                                                                 Warren
The rail is your friend, no zing pow, on the iron wenches, I like broccoli!