PENN 6500SS QUESTION

Started by LTM, March 13, 2014, 05:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LTM

HI,

I guess this question can apply to the 6500ss, 7500ss, maybe the 9500 I dont know.  Its my understanding that this series of reels can come with an aluminum alloy main gear instead of the marine brass better quality main gear. Is there any way to visually identify a reel from the outside that would indicate if the reel has brass vs alloy main gear (without opening the reel up)?  Is the main gear the only difference between models, if not what are they? Can one still get brass gears for the 6500SS, if so where?

Thank you for your help,

Leo

basto

I think the 650SS has the brass main gear and the 6500SS has the aluminium gear. The brass main gear for the 650SS is no longer available from Scotts to my knowledge, but someone here is probably able to help you out.
DAM Quick 3001      SHIMANO Spedmaster 3   Jigging Master PE5n

LTM

Thanx Basto,

I was wondering if there was anything visible like a certain kind of handle or something that may indicate the type of gears inside.

Irish Jigger

Leo,not the answer you want but the only sure way of establishing gear material is to remove the handle, unscrew the  3 side plate screws and take a look.
Nothing will spring out at you.

LTM

Did Penn manufacture any 6500SS reels with Brass gears, if so was it the early models or the latter models?

Thanx,

Leo

Mike La Franchie

I believe the early x500ss models had a brass gear. Some time during their production they changed to an aluminuim gear.
I only fish on days ending with Y

CroMonty

Quote from: LTM on March 14, 2014, 01:35:16 AM
Did Penn manufacture any 6500SS reels with Brass gears, if so was it the early models or the latter models?

Thanx,

Leo

I have two 7500 SS's, one made in 1996. and other in 1998. (stamped dates on each reel manual) and they both have bevel cut marine bronze gears, so yes, early models did have 'gold' gears. It looks like they switched to cheaper 'grey' alloy main gear in last few years of manufacturing those models, probably somewhere after year 2000 and until they discontinued them. I belive these '00' models were manufactured from 1992. - 2005. All in all, only 100% reliable method to determine type of gears inside of those reels is to take side plate off and see what's in side.
I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception! :)