+1 more bearing on Sealine 600H

Started by madday, March 13, 2014, 06:32:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

madday

when i cracked down the reels, it was 4 of them, i realized something is missing.....  ???
it was bearing on the main gear shaft... usually, recent design star drag reel has at least a bearing here, or plus addition of anti reverse bearing.
the design of sealine 600H is fine, the shaft looks (likely) strong, even without bearing on the base, but it seem the base is responsible for holding all the torsions of the handle, especially bending torsion from the handle.
so i am thinking of spreading the handle bending torsion to the right side plate via bearing....
at the same time i realized that another thing is missing, nothing but a thick to metal washer that works to spreading all the drag pressing force from the star drag via bellevilles and sleeve, there's nothing else act to spread the pressure evenly across all the drag surface but that thick washer...  ???

so i am thinking of replacing the sleeve, into new sleeve design made from SS that we can put bearing on to spread the pressure for more evenly (YELLOW), and add a bearing (RED) and bearing cup (BLUE)made from hard nylon or bronze/copper that fit tightly with the sideplate....

here is the picture of the sleeve (spacer) and the idea, how do you guys think? will it work? is the performance improvement worth the hassle...  :D
of course it is much easier to buy makaira, it will lose the fun....  ;D

the spacer photo was taken from alan's 900H thread, i hope its okay.... :)

Bryan Young

Hi Madday,

If that's the drag kit that I sent you, the washers are out of order.  You will need to place the stock thick washer on the top to help spread out the drag pressure.  The washer is so thick, I don't think you have much flex...at least where it would be significant.

You have a great idea except the bearing that you place inbetween the sleeve and the bushing really needs to be a thrust bearing instead of an axial bearing.  Axial bearings cannot take that kid of side to side pressure.

Bryan
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

madday

no problem with the drag kit bryan,
i realized before i order your drag kit actually.... its the sealine design itself imho is not that advance enough according to nowadays standard....

imo, no need thrust bearing....
the bearing will be "float" between the yellow and blue part.... the belleville will press only the yellow part causing the yellow spacer will slides side to side...
of course the bearing will be slightly move side to side if the drag pressure is increase/lower, but it will be held not to "out of place" by the flanged bearing cup (blue) and flanged spacer (yellow).
this flanged portion of the spacer also act as "pressure divider".... :D

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

TLD star uses a bearing as a spacer. so far so good, but then maybe because mine is made in Japan, but i'd rather have a tube there... ;) :D ;D

madday

i would rather have 1 more bearing there...  ;D

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

hopefully it's not a needle in a hay stock search, bearing size. good luck... :)