Nail Polish in place of Loctite?

Started by thedw, March 13, 2014, 12:50:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedw

Hi guys!

was looking thru here http://www.fishingkaki.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=143647

and it suggested in place of loctite using nail polish if regular maintenance will be carried out on the reel.

Opinions?

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

loctite red or blue? i haven't used loctite but have used another brand here in brasil but in blue and it's easier for me to remove the screws. if you are in the states get the tamiya thread lock (highly recommended). i used this product during my RC(offroad buggies) days. here is a link to tower hobbies;

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXGR91&P=7

unfortunately it's out of stock. maybe there's a hobby store near you. hope this helps...

Jeri

Hi Guys,

In an earlier part of my life, during an interlude from fishing – I raced motorcycles and particularly very high revving 2 strokes; that vibrated like demons.

If screws coming loose is an issue, and we had much the same problem, we used to use nail polish as an adhesive on the outside of the bolt head, across to the casing.  This method stopped tight screws from vibrating loose, it was only used in the early days, later we had to drill the screw or bolt heads to affix with safety wire. But, the original method worked very well. We only used to put a small spot of the nail polish between the screw head and the casing. The quick setting attributes were better than the Honda solution at the time, which was paint – both worked.

The only drawback will be visual on the outside of a fishing reel, bright red on a nice silver anodised reel. But it will certainly create a solution to screws loosening, and probably more easy to undo, than thread locking fluids or even nail polish down in the threads.

Just a thought.

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

gstours

Its my opinion that its ok to use on super fine threads and small dia. stuff  but it is light duty,  maibee better than nothing in a crunch, and lookin in your wifes or girlfriends make-up bag is a waste of time if you need loc-tite.

handi2

I have used it a long time ago.

I also raced the old 2 strokes. Boy was that fun..!! I had a Mako Breako 250. And then a Honda Elsinore when they came out.
OCD Reel Service & Repair
Gulf Breeze, FL

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Shark Hunter

I use Loctite 242 blue as well on my Handles. A little Insurance never hurts.
Life is Good!

MFB

I use purple (222) low strength screw lock on most screws.

Rgds

Mark
No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Quote from: Mel B on March 13, 2014, 02:04:28 PM
loctite red or blue? i haven't used loctite but have used another brand here in brasil but in blue and it's easier for me to remove the screws. if you are in the states get the tamiya thread lock (highly recommended). i used this product during my RC(offroad buggies) days. here is a link to tower hobbies;

Anything Tamiya makes is top quality thats for sure.  They make a series of shaped cotton swabs that are very useful in reel cleaning into crevices like around Ambassadeur weld joints in the frame.  Their thread lock makes great sense for reels since it was developed with screws with weaker metal heads in mind.  Great idea Mel B.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

i did an experiment with a cylinder head gasket compound as a sub for loctite and what not. please this is only a sub if you don't have access to approriate material, and here is the result after more than a month;

difficult, at least for me, to remove nut with fingers alone. now time for real world testing... :)

i think i have to resize photos to <480...