Okuma Cedros CJ65S Bullied By GT's

Started by Marko, March 13, 2014, 02:44:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marko

My Last Trip on 14- 16th of March 2014 to Ujung Kulon Area was really Interesting,

the first day, which is Friday I was using 60 grams stickbait with 130 lbs leader, 65 lbs Berkley Whiplash, Okuma Cedros CJ65S and Ripple Fisher Popping Rod (i don't know the series, i was borrowed by a friend).

on the attached foto You can see A friend of mine using Jigging Master PE 7 + Custom PE 5-10 Rod + JB Hollow Decade 60 lbs + 100 Lbs YGK FC leader + Braid Fintail Jig was hit by a GT. but even this setup with additional help from the boat moving forward is not enough to pull the GT. the line broke near the rod tip at full drag.

On Your Top, You can see two reef. I was Struck By GT using the popping set in between the two reef and with 99% drag i just can't stop the GT running...  I was thinking to put palm on the spool but I'm really afraid that the graphite rotor will be broken-again..

The GT Goes full throttle to his "home" and Bam! the 65 lbs Braid was cut by the reef.

On the second day, on exactly the same spot i was struck 3 times in a row by the GT.. but my stupidity is pushing 75 gram stickbait with 5/0 double hook which is imbalanced and can't have the GT hooked up.

On the Okuma America Website, it's written that The Okuma Cedros Rotor was AL , but mine was Graphite. is it new feature for new Generation of Cedros? what upgrades possible for my old cedros?

I was also thinking to buy a 18K Saragosa, which I saw many people can count on this reel. but i hate to trash my Okuma Cedros Spinning reels.

Will appreciate for Your Opinion. Thanks.

Irish Jigger

I feel sorry for all those GT's swimming around with yards of heavy braid hanging from them. >:(

wallacewt

hi marko
nice to hear from you again
seems like you took a knife to the gun fight
what about heavy gear and troll away from that reef  ;)

DaBigOno

Quote from: wallacewt on March 13, 2014, 09:17:02 PM

What he said!
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

johndtuttle

There is no inexpensive solution to this problem. The only reels that can really do it if you want to cast to big fish are spinning reels in the Stella/Daiwa Dogfight/Penn Torque class of reel.

A Saragosa will get destroyed fast but may get you through a few fish.

But, to paraphrase the immortal Gene Kira of "Baja Catch" fame:

"Do not try to fight a Jack with a buttoned down drag. Either something will break or your back will, but not the Jack."

I have not fished for GTs but can tell you other 40lb jacks cannot be stopped short. Enough drag to do it will pull you straight out of the boat.

Unfortunately I am also given the impression that GTs love to cut you off on structure. Crafty demons. The guys that fish for the biggest ones (50kg) lose a lot of expensive gear.   :P

Shark Hunter

hi marko
I would Love to Try! Some bigger gear for sure.
Life is Good!

Marko

Quote from: Irish Jigger on March 13, 2014, 05:54:08 PM
I feel sorry for all those GT's swimming around with yards of heavy braid hanging from them. >:(

nah, it wont happen... they just need to swim around the reef structure and the hook and line will come off..

unless it was on the open ocean.. that's another story ;D

fishtaco

I know the fish you are targeting are very strong and to top it off
you are fishing them right by the rocks, it is very though

for that particular place and time I would use a 2 speed reel (Or the boat, lol)

here is a Daiwa LD35, great jigger and I set the 2 speed to get the fish away from the rocks
cheers
Have a great day

Marko

hi marko
what about heavy gear and troll away from that reef  ;)

Nice to hear from you too..

yep.. I still underestimate the mighty GT power... especially in this area! the fish around Ujung Kulon area was heavily trained with strong currents. even 3 kg Big Eye Trevally i jigged was having a tremendous fighting power..  My BAD! ;D

next plan was to upgrade the equipment using PE 8-10 popping rods, Saragosa 18K and Jerry Brown Line One 80 lbs + 150 lbs leader...

I hope that was not considered bringing a knife to a gun fight LOL ;D

anyway.. I dont have heavy gear more than JM PE 7 / Accurate Platinum Twin Drag 50W.

Marko

Quote from: johndtuttle on March 14, 2014, 06:07:10 AM
There is no inexpensive solution to this problem. The only reels that can really do it if you want to cast to big fish are spinning reels in the Stella/Daiwa Dogfight/Penn Torque class of reel.

A Saragosa will get destroyed fast but may get you through a few fish.

But, to paraphrase the immortal Gene Kira of "Baja Catch fame:

"Do not try to fight a Jack with a buttoned down drag. Either something will break or your back will, but not the Jack."

I have not fished for GTs but can tell you other 40lb jacks cannot be stopped short. Enough drag to do it will pull you straight out of the boat.

Unfortunately I am also given the impression that GTs love to cut you off on structure. Crafty demons. The guys that fish for the biggest ones (50kg) lose a lot of expensive gear.   :P

couldn't agree more ;D

wallacewt

hi marko
80lb line is pretty much standard line here in oz
or heavier.
what depth of water is it?
when are you going to try again
cheers mate

wallacewt

marko id like to show you this
left handed 850ss penn,  ss ratchet, 2 ss spring loaded dogs,  hex c/f drag.
no idea what the rod is but it has a roller tip,useless,but its all I have to lift over 2olb
reel has to go on top

the bucket never put up much of a fight,didnt matter
if it did,i still had plenty more drag
match it up to a ugly stik, save  $,s

Shark Hunter

You Show That Bucket Who's Boss Wally! >:(
Life is Good!

johndtuttle

Heh, those old Penn's were the original super spinners and landed a lot of world records.  :-*

wallacewt

they still are john
especially with keta,s upgrades and the brains on this site
cheers mate