Anti-Sieze Lube

Started by captjeffkk, March 13, 2014, 03:21:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captjeffkk

hi
anyone every use Never-Sieze or Anti - Sieze  Lube in Penn reels???

it not why???
Penn Int II 30T---REBUILD......

THANKS
jeff k

Keta

Many of these have metal in them and can cause issues with galvanic corrosion.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

The only thing I use it for is Lug Nuts on my Vehicles. A little bit of it goes a long way. I'm with Lee on this one. I use High Temp and it contains copper particles. I would not use it in my reels.
Life is Good!

DaBigOno

I also use anti-seize on my lugs on my cars, but I use the blue Penn grease to lube my screws.  I think Ill experiment on one of my reels.
Ua Mau ke Ea o ka Aina i ka Pono

Makule

I have tried it on the end plate screws, and have found that over time, it gets dry.  Doesn't stick, however.  It's also quite messy to work with.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

baitsauce

Interesting thread.

How about this stuff?

Loctite Marine Anti-Seize

Although I may be rethinking this I haven't tried it on any of my reels, but this is what I use for pretty much everything except spark plugs and exhaust manifolds.  In other words high heat applications and (so far) have had good luck with it.

Thoughts??

RowdyW

Hi Baitsauce, I worked on heavy equipment all my life & when I first started we used white lead mixed with oil on all bolts. When anti seize came on the market we had orders at the Caterpiller dealer I worked for to only use anti seize. Its a little messy if you get it on your hands or clothes but washes off with soap & water. But it won't wash off with plain water or saltwater & is resistant to most solvents. Like I said its a little messy but it works great. If you are servicing your reels regularly, marine grease will do fine & its a lot cleaner to clean up excess.     Rudy

Shark Hunter

Reels need Grease and oil. I don't think anti seize is on the menu. ;)
Life is Good!

bluefish69

I have Anti Seize here & don't use it on my Reels. I will pull the Pins on Hinges & paint them work great. I have enough for a few life times. I used it mostly on Pipe Flanges, Gaskets, Bolts, Valves [Water & HP Steam].

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

RowdyW

Shark Hunter, anti seize is not designed as a lubricant, it is to put a barrier between two pieces of metal to prevent corrosion such as screws, bolts, nuts,pins, etc. & any type of semi permenant assembly.  I did say MARINE grease would be a better option for reels on the screws because it is easier to clean up. Anti Seize is a better corrosion barrier then ANY kind of grease.    Rudy

Shark Hunter

Rudy,
You can use whatever you like buddy. I mean no offense. ;)
I use it regularly on my Vehicles. Just not on my reels. ;D
Life is Good!

RowdyW

Are you replying for Baitsauce?   :o

fisher480

I have over 30 years experience working in heavy industry and when I did my apprenticeship I was told under no circumstances to use never seize on anything like an outboard motor or such. The reason is that it introduces another dissimilar metal and causes corrosion when introduced to the likes of saltwater. Think about Alloy and stainless steel then add nickel or a copper based anti seize compound. Not a good idea.

Reel 224

Quote from: captjeffkk on March 13, 2014, 03:21:50 PM
hi
anyone every use Never-Sieze or Anti - Sieze  Lube in Penn reels???

it not why???
Penn Int II 30T---REBUILD......

THANKS
jeff k

I use it on some of the bolts on my tractors, I hate using it because it gets all over,it's like a magnet to skin ::)
"I don't know the key to success,but the key to failure is trying to please everyone."

johndtuttle

Quote from: baitsauce on November 03, 2014, 06:29:43 PM
Interesting thread.

How about this stuff?

Loctite Marine Anti-Seize

Although I may be rethinking this I haven't tried it on any of my reels, but this is what I use for pretty much everything except spark plugs and exhaust manifolds.  In other words high heat applications and (so far) have had good luck with it.

Thoughts??

If it is designed for Marine applications it may be fine from a corrosion standpoint.

Typically these compounds are designed to keep things from seizing that have to be highly "torqued" to certain levels for proper performance (ie keep your head gasket on just right) but that high degree of tightness leads to a worry that corrosion will make it impossible to remove. If the part loosens it also can cause grief too of course so they are really cranked down.

Fishing reels do not have any part that is really "torqued" on and so doesn't need protection from seizing in quite the same way. We want parts to stay tight of course, but we don't super crank them down or we might damage the parts.

I think that what people are really saying is that we find Marine Grease is "just right" for a DiY guy who frequently services his reels. It protects from corrosion, things generally stay tight with moderate torquing pressures but come off with little fuss or mess when we need them to when we find that shim on the bench we forgot and have to open up the reel again to put it back.

All in all it gets it done and is convenient to use. Tastes good on toast too (j/k :) ). Seriously, we just love the stuff from some experience.

ps. Good example: When you are closing the reel I usually have some excess grease that squirts out around the heads of the screws. When I wipe this down I wipe the entire outside of the reel with this very thin film from the grease picked up on the rag. When I am done the entire outside of the reels has been protected in this final step. I like this. Not sure if anti-seizing compounds are what I would want on the outside of my reel.