Cast net tutorial

Started by Cone, March 13, 2014, 04:48:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cone

A while back I promised to show how I make my monofilament  cast nets. I want to apologize for the long delay. I will try to do my best. However, I would appreciate any feedback. If something is not clear please let me know and I will try to clarify it. If I make any mistakes please point them out so they can be fixed.
    I would like to give you a link for a reference.   http://fishnetsa2z.com/   Click on the illustrated Encyclopedia of Cast Nets at the link. This will bring up a Word document. I do things a little differently than the author. The basics are the same.
   I would like to state I am not a professional net maker. I have built my own nets for close to 40 years. I started hand knitting them out of nylon seine twine. When I made my first monofilament panel net, I said I would never knit another one again. I have seen many people say that a person should knit their first net before they build a panel net. I think they must be selling nets because I don't know of a better way to discourage someone from making their own net. The time savings alone is significant.
   There are two kinds of nets used here. Spanish style or "bag nets" and English style or "braille nets". Each has its own advantages and disadvantages. The Spanish nets shine when wading. The end of these are turned under to form a bag. A person can easily reach up inside the net to remove a fish without going back to the beach to dump the net. They can be used from a boat or pier but cannot be emptied as fast as an English net. I used Spanish nets for years but I rarely wade anymore.
    The English style net has a ring called a horn at the top of the net. The braille lines run through this ring to the bottom of the net. When the net is retrieved the entire net becomes the bag. It can be easily and quickly emptied by sliding the horn back toward the hand line and shaking the fish out  Most of you probably know all this but some may be new to this.
    I will be making myself a 10 panel 12 foot radius English style net. I will probably split this up into several posts. It will be easier for someone to follow the steps this way. If this is a problem then the moderators can combine them. I am only doing this to try to give something back to this site. I mostly fish with older reels and others have already covered them. Thank you for this wonderful community. I think of you all as family.

Here is what I will be using. One inch bar two inch stretch monofilament  netting 12 ft long. Netting is available in different lengths mesh sizes and monofilament  size. I will be using 177 line diameter netting. Its a compromise from the lighter 139 and heavier 208 netting. The 139 is more limber but is more fragile. 139 will also sink faster for the same weight. I find for the fishing I do using 139 results in too much patching. ;)  208 is too stiff and sinks too slow. It's my preference it may not be for you.
    You will also need net needles and monofilament to sew the panels together. I will be using cheap 20lb mono. You will need a horn, a swivel, #9 bonded seine twine and a hand line. For the braille lines I use 100lb test mono. Cheaper is better for the brailles. It is normally thicker diameter and is better for abrasion and also to give you more to grab when you have that big heavy net of fish to lift. I use crimps for the braille lines. You will also need a length of lead line and leads.

Cutting out the panels.
The panels are cut using a one point two bar ratio. This will work for 9 to 12 panel nets.
Lay the webbing on a table. With the end of the net to the left cut the first point ( double selvage row and single mono to the first knot.

Now cut the two bars that angle to the right.

Then the next point is cut.

You continue this all the way to the other side of the net. Then go to the side you ended count 6 mesh at the top and do the same thing on the other side. iIt should look like this.

Then go to the other side and do the same thing until you have 10 panels.  

Thats all I have time for right now but I will post more soon.  Bob

I am adding 3 pics to show how the netting is cut. In the first picture you can see where the cut was started. The left side would be discarded or saved for     I patching large holes.

The next one shows the top of the cut.

The last one shows the other side after counting over 6 meshes and cutting 1 point 2 bars to the bottom.
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

floating doc

Central Florida

Shark Hunter

Good Job Bob! You Have some patience there.
Life is Good!

Makule

Bob,

Few questions:
1) What is the breaking strength of 177;
2) After making the first cuts all the way to the top, do you start cutting back down from the top to the bottom; and
3) Where do you get the raw netting from?

Thank you.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Capt Ahab

WOW!  I am awed - Some days I have problems if one of my shoe laces comes untied - that is some nice work and neat stuff

Cone

I had to stop today to pick up my grandson from school. Makule, 177 is the line diameter. I believe it is close to 20 lb test. Yes after cutting all the way to the bottom the piece on the left is discarded. You count over 6 mesh and start cutting 1 point, 2 bars all the way to the top. After I cut two panels out I always flip the panels the way they will be sewn together to make sure they can be. Sometimes you have to trim one side to make them work out. This depends on mesh size and depth. I will try to get a few pictures of this to post tomorrow. It may be Monday before I can post how to sew them together. I can't hold the camera and sew them together at the same time.  >:(
      I buy my netting at http://www.brunsonnet.com/  You will find everything in their marine catalog. They are about 30 miles away. They are very nice people and if you call them they can help you with an order.
      I'll post more later. I'm Mr. mom till Monday and I have some things to do to get ready for school tomorrow.
Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)

Makule

If you have the ability and willingness, a video would be great too.  Thank you.
I used to be in a constant state of improvement.  Now I'm in a constant state of renovation.

Cone

Makule, I can probably get someone to take a video of cutting out a panel and sewing up a seam. I don't know how to post one though. Bob

VW

When you asked about this before I said I was not interested in making a net but was interested in learning about maintenance/repairs.  At the time I did not know about panel nets and since have been reading about them.  Think I could do this and have been waiting for your tutorial.

Cone

VW, If I can do it anyone can. It isn't rocket science.  ;) I haven't had hardly any time to work on this net. I've already had to stop. I'm afraid if I do any more I won't be able to take the pics or video when I get help. The last two days I've stitched up all but two seams. When I take the pics and finish these two seams its time to put the horn in, hang the lead line and braille it. It's almost time to try it.   Bob

Makule

Quote from: Cone on March 15, 2014, 04:13:53 PM
Makule, I can probably get someone to take a video of cutting out a panel and sewing up a seam. I don't know how to post one though. Bob

Make the video, post it on youtube, and post the link here.  Thank you.

wallacewt

hi cone   good stuff
there is that much info now on this i cant keep up
but hey thats fishing
cheers mate

Makule

Cone,

How many eyes are at the bottom and at the top?

Does it differ with a 9 panel and 12 panel net?

Cone

Makule, I start out with six mesh at the top of each panel for 9-12 panel nets. A 12 panel net is over kill. I mostly make 10 panel nets anymore. The number of mesh at the bottom will vary with mesh size and depth of the netting. I will make some videos and try to post them. It may be a little while. It's time to fish right now.  ;D I just made another net since this one. Well almost, I still need to hang the lead line and braille it. I will work on it on rainy days if I can. Bob

FatTuna

That's really impressive. I always wondered how cast nets where made ???. I always struggled with even throwing them.