Penn International II 80tw

Started by RockyMtnKurt, March 14, 2014, 03:41:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RockyMtnKurt

I have just gone through an older Penn International II for desalting and lube service. Upon reassembly, I have a thin stainless wave washer ID 1/2", OD 7/8" which I am not sure exactly where it belongs. I have viewed the schematic for about a day now, and I can not decpiher where it should go. I could sure use some help. Thanks.

Tightlines667

Is it 134A-80 gear stud washer?  This one goes just under the handle arm.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

RockyMtnKurt

No. I have that one installed. This one is thinner than the handle washer and is a wave. I suspect it would go in a pressure/clutch situation, such as under the belleville's over the pinion gear or some such thing.

RockyMtnKurt

Also, I did not pull any bearings in the 80TW either, so it would not be any underlying washers in these assemblies. 

RockyMtnKurt

I have been playing back in my mind the disassembly/reassembly process. I take each reel section apart and store each section's parts together in individual ziplock baggies, stacked in order, like when I work on transmissions. This washer must have been stuck to one part by grease and fell off undetected during the time I was removing the clicker, the pinion gear with belleville's and shaft, and the main gear assembly.

Tightlines667

It was likely used as a shim washer either adjacent to the Bellevilles (I.e thrust washer), next to the pinion bearing, next to the left spool bearing, or possibly inside the drag assembly (next to the left spool bearing).  It may also have been a shim under the main drive gear.  If your reel is working/performing well (w/no play in drive gear assembly, and expected drag range/curve while maintaining free spool..I wouldn't worry about it.
Hope springs eternal

Tightlines667

Also possible that it was a shim under the preset adjust knob (between it and the cf washer). 
Hope springs eternal

RockyMtnKurt