crays(lobsters)

Started by wallacewt, March 16, 2014, 10:22:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallacewt

got a call from john(skipper)
asked if id be his safety man. test run and a dive
with 2 novices from work, mick and  luke
they turned up late of course but had an excuse.
luke had to work alnight and didn't finish till 7am.
no sleep,no breakfast,pick up his dive gear and
drive an hour to the boat,he was still on standby
and had to go back tonight
mick got seasick.
the boat went well  :D
in the photos you can see john helping the boys
and the 1st of the crays to come aboard

luke lasted an hour,went to bed
mick battled on
both said they had a terrific time and wanna do it again
ah kids.  ::)

conchydong

Very nice. Our Florida lobster are similar to yours. We call ours Crawfish which is similar to Crayfish. This name is from the early migrants of English heritage that came to the Florida Keys from the Bahamas in the 1800s. Due to marketing and to lessen confusion with the freshwater crawfish (crayfish), they are marketed as Spiny Lobster or Florida lobster.

bluefish69

I know what you had for dinner last night but today all I have is a 18# Corned Beef + fixens. I might trade
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

CapeFish

nice they look similar to our crayfish as well what is the scientific name? we are only allowed to freedive for them no scuba kit.

Shark Hunter

I call them Lobsters! ;) Crawdads are freshwater where I come from.
Nice pics Wallace.! I always have to eat one of these when I go to the coast. Delicious! :P
Life is Good!

Tightlines667

I think those Florida 'bugs' are pretty similar to the spiny lobster we had in Bermuda.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

conchydong

Quote from: CapeFish on March 16, 2014, 07:00:55 PM
nice they look similar to our crayfish as well what is the scientific name? we are only allowed to freedive for them no scuba kit.

The scientific name is Panulirus argus. We can use scuba. If you are in a good shallow area, hookah rigs (Brownies) are more convenient. Recreationally, we can tail snare them, "tickle" them out of a hole and net them or grab them by hand. You cannot use any hook or spear that punctures the shell. Another fun way is to go out at night and drift or slowly motor across the flats  with bright lights shining down on the bottom and "bully" net them while they are out feeding. Hoop nets are legal also but most do not use them in Florida like they do in California.

wallacewt

here in oz its illegal to catch them at night(diving)

Tightlines667

Same exact species found in Bermuda, the scientific name refers to the helmsmen of Greek mythology, and a hundred eyed giant of Greek mythology.  The later name 'Argus' is also the name of Beemuda's most productive/largest offshore bank. 
Hope springs eternal

Shark Hunter

Bugs, Crays, Panulirus argus. I call them Lobster Dinner! :P Bring on the Surf and Turf! ;D
Steak and Lobster! It doesn't get any better than that! ;)
Life is Good!

CapeFish

Quote from: conchydong on March 16, 2014, 10:58:31 PM
Quote from: CapeFish on March 16, 2014, 07:00:55 PM

The scientific name is Panulirus argus. We can use scuba. If you are in a good shallow area, hookah rigs (Brownies) are more convenient. Recreationally, we can tail snare them, "tickle" them out of a hole and net them or grab them by hand. You cannot use any hook or spear that punctures the shell. Another fun way is to go out at night and drift or slowly motor across the flats  with bright lights shining down on the bottom and "bully" net them while they are out feeding. Hoop nets are legal also but most do not use them in Florida like they do in California.

Is the same species as what is found in Australia?

Tightlines667

No...same genus though, the western rock lobster, Panulirus cygnus, grows bigger and is more numerous.  The species name describes an individual in Greek myth that was buried improperly causing his soul to drift from shallow waters to the deep sea.  Good eating!
Hope springs eternal

Capt Ahab

Very cool - we catch them (foul hooked) while fishing in Mass. sometimes, not the same species, ours are cold water lobster

we are not supposed to keep them out of the canal I am told

Each trip I manage at least one

CapeFish

Quote from: Tightlines666 on March 17, 2014, 09:09:34 AM
No...same genus though, the western rock lobster, Panulirus cygnus, grows bigger and is more numerous.  The species name describes an individual in Greek myth that was buried improperly causing his soul to drift from shallow waters to the deep sea.  Good eating!

Thanks, we have Jasus lalandii here by us, but I saw you get the same genus in Oz as well, not sure about the species. Was just curious. They do look very similar to J. lalandi but my taxonomic skill are dodgy at best. Counting spines and scales is not my idea of relaxation! Ours are excellent eating as well, but it's very expensive if you don't catch your own and the season has been severely reduced.

wallacewt

where I live its the western rock lobster
we also get the saddlebacks(vegetarian)
I had photos of them over 25lb