braided on calcutta 700

Started by morpheus, March 16, 2014, 10:55:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

morpheus

Hi guys...changed my normal  line to 80 pound braided on my calcutta reel and am having backlash each time i cast...i use 100 gram or heavier poppers...Any tips from you..thks a lot

jay2578

Braid needs to be spooled under tension bud otherwise fluff ups will be inevitable.
Abu 6500 CS rocket x2
Abu 7001i
Abu 6500 C3

tacklerat

Hi morpheus,

Some possible advice I could add on what jay has said would be to tighten the cast control slightly and to also use shock leaders tied with an FG knot which aid with the cast.I personally run a calcutta 700 filled with 80lb braid also and cast big lures like the weights you have mentioned for surf fishing.My reel is currently mounted on an old school custom 5120 snyderglas which is tuff as nails and it's hard to believe the drag increases once these have had a carbontex drag upgrade,turns these reels into a real weapon.
If your reel is well serviced like mine due to regular dunkings in the surf the distances achieved during casting are exceptional, due to regular servicing I tend to run a lighter oil on the spool bearings to aid with distance,hope this helps.

regards tacklerat

morpheus

broadway

Tighten up the cast control knob on the side.  I don't own a 700 but I have a 50gt, 300te, and a 400te which have a braking system in them... if yours does also I would put the brakes on.  The usually come half in the (brake) on and the other half the (brake) off position.  Put them all towards the center and see what ya get.
Good luck,
Dom