Cleaning a Teal-Green Penn 209 (gently)?

Started by dogdad1, March 18, 2014, 05:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dogdad1

Finally scored a Teal-Green Penn!  Been looking a long time, and eventually chased down the rumors of one at a local flea-market.  Gonna make it look reel pretty, but I'm reluctant to clean it as harshly as I've done all my other Penns.  They come out looking and working good, but then they weren't destined to just sit on a shelf and shine like this one will.

The metal bits on this one have become similar shade of green that kinda matches the green plates, so I have a donor 209 that I'm going to swap the corroded parts with.  The plates themselves are in great shape but have the typical crusty crud and caked-on dirt from all the years it must have sat, and that's where I am now.

What is a recommended procedure and cleaners/solvents that I can use to get those plates looking like-new again without damaging them in any way? Regular dish-soap doesn't seem to cut it (another pun).  I've used the usual products (Simple-Green, Orange Citrus, Super-Clean, etc) on all my others, but am reluctant to use them here for fear of taking the shine off them (Which has happened to some of my others). 

Thanks in advance!
Ron

BTW, anyone got a real nice green 209 handle they're interested in selling?
"Few things are quite as dangerous or unpredictable as an Engineer with too much time on his hands". - unknown

john2244

Nice find on the green 209.  I have one that also has the green spool, nice reel.  I may have a handle for you.  I will check and let you know.  I am fishing on Wednesday so it may be Thursday before I can get back to you.

John

dogdad1

Thanks John.  But don't use that green reel-handle!  I don't want fish-guts all over it, I got enough to clean right now!   ;D

A green SPOOL???  OMG, I didn't know that even existed.  I WANT ONE!!!!!   :'(

"Few things are quite as dangerous or unpredictable as an Engineer with too much time on his hands". - unknown

john2244

I was able to check on the green knob handle for you.  I only have one left and it is not in very good condition, but it is green.  It is a 155 size.  Send me a PM with your email address and I will send you a picture. 

John

Tightlines667

I've had good sucess w/Mothers products cleaner, restorer, wax on the penn side plates.  I use clean terry cloths, and a low rpm orbital w/soft buff disc to finish.  These products seem to penetrate deep, and lift the crud out, after severel applications, and a little elbow grease.  I think they do leave a very slight film.

Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

dogdad1

Hey John -
I appreciate the offer, but I'll pass.  My handle sounds like it's in about the same shape.

TL666 -
Good tips on cleaning/polishing the plates.  I use Mother's stuff on my TR6, makes the whole car look better than it probably is   ;)

Ron

MFB

No man can lose what he never had.
                                                   Isaac Walton

Unutt

Late as usual.

I have a sweet #9 Peerless with teal green side plates.  Only one I have ever seen.  It was given to me for repairing a reel a few years ago.  It was defunct when I received it.  My memory says it cost a fortune to put it back into working order, but it is beeyootiful.

So many reels, so little time.

steelfish

The Baja Guy

fIsHsTiiCkS

I believe I have a green handle in solid condition. I'll check for you

Aiala

DogDad, they sure are pretty reels... I had to get one, too! Here's how my re-build turned out:

Have fun with yours!  :)

~A~
I don't suffer from insanity... I enjoy every minute of it!  :D

theswimmer

Quote from: Aiala on May 12, 2015, 02:22:34 PM
DogDad, they sure are pretty reels... I had to get one, too! Here's how my re-build turned out:

Have fun with yours!  :)

~A~

Aiala your pictures seem to  come out much better than most of us heathens! Very clear and crisp.
What are you using for a camera and are you cleaning up the images or just posting as is?
There is nothing like lying flat on your back on the deck, alone except for the helmsman aft at the wheel, silence except for the lapping of the sea against the side of the ship. At that time you can be equal to Ulysses and brother to him.

Errol Flynn

Alto Mare

Aiala, that's a beautiful reel. Be careful, one at a time they will add up. You will then be faced with the same problem as mine, I just don't know where to keep them. I need a bigger house  :-\ ;D.
Forget about all the reasons why something may not work. You only need to find one good reason why it will.

Aiala

Quote from: theswimmer on May 12, 2015, 08:53:30 PM
Aiala, your pictures seem to come out much better than most of us heathens! Very clear and crisp.
What are you using for a camera and are you cleaning up the images or just posting as is?

Swimmer, nothing fancy at all. I use a Panasonic Lumix digital camera (at least 5 years old if not more), and then I upload the photo to my laptop. I open it in Microsoft Office Picture Manager (sometimes I'll use the "auto correct" function to improve color) then I crop it to preferred size. That's it!   :)

~A~

Aiala

Quote from: Alto Mare on May 12, 2015, 10:50:52 PM
Aiala, that's a beautiful reel. Be careful, one at a time they will add up. You will then be faced with the same problem as mine, I just don't know where to keep them. I need a bigger house  :-\ ;D.

Tell me about it, Sal! I've already got more than I can possibly use, but sometimes it's hard to resist "just one more"... and I'm not even in the same league with you, Mr. Shark, Fred, Randy, Lee, Dom, etc.  :P

~A~