Cleaning the frame up

Started by lanikaifisher, May 05, 2012, 05:58:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lanikaifisher

new the the forum here and i would have to say it is the best forum i have come across for reels. Planning on overhauling a pair of 80 gold penn internationals and a 50 also. By the past posts i have found out how to work on the insides for the most part and am not too worried there. I purchased the 3 reels for a total of 800 dollars. The insides are in good condition and will run even better once i follow some of the posts here as i take them apart. The frame on the other hand is not as nice. There is some pitting in the frame and green corrosion in the reel tie downs. Do any of you have some tips to get the green off with out ruining the finish. Also how can i buff out the gold frame to make it as nice as possible. Is pitting a fixable thing or do i just need to monitor it to make sure it does not get worse. was planning on giving the frames a hot water and soap bath then maybe wax them to help bring out the shine? Was wondering what you all would think.

Thanks and im really looking forward to starting,

Nick

publius

You're stuck with the pitting unless you want to sand and polish the pits out and have then re-anodized (not worth it.) I would take a toothbrush and some clr and scrub it, especially the pits to get any corrosion off. Polish with a Dremel with a felt tip and Flitx (on low speed, don't burn through the finish) remember, you are not going to remove the pits you are just making the rest look better. Buff the Flitz off with a clean soft cloth then wax with a good car wax. Keep an eye on those pits b/c they will get contaminated with salt and get worse.

lanikaifisher

Thanks for the reply. Figured i was stuck with the pits but i at least want to make the rest of it shine. would leaving some of the car wax in the pits help seal them from the salt?

What is the deal with the vinegar, water and baking soda mix i have been reading about?

akfish

Vinegar will remove the green, but CLR (a household chemical you can get at the grocery store) works considerably faster.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

coastalobsession

Clean with Clr or simple green the coat with yamaha grease
Coastal Obsession Deckhand and reel cleaning

alantani

yamaha grease and an old toothbrush!   ;D
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Bryan Young

Hey Nick,

How's the reels running?  I hope Kamu's advice helped your reel situation.  Any fishing pics to post?  Ahi's a bitin, are you out a catchin?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Thun

Hello all

I tried cleaning up a 320 GTi frame with several different oils, greases and wax and the frame looked OK but when I was discussing this with my Brother-In-Law, he told me to buy this stuff called Wipe New (As Seen On TV). He said his boss did all the trim on his truck and it made the truck look new. So I ordered a bottle online and it did a beautiful job cleaning up this graphite frame. Not for paint however.

Nessie Hunter

$19.99 for a double size bottle, of "three ounces"??.   ($8 S & H)
Extra stuff to apply is free just pay added shipping... ($8 S & H)
2x shipping comes to around $35 total for the kit...

That Frame looks amazing...  Wish you had a 'before' pic??
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

Thun

Here's a pic of the same frame before I applied the Wipe New. It's against a different background so I didn't post it. I hope you can see the difference. After I placed my order on line using a debit card, I tried to access the website again but it kept bringing me to a different website about coupons. So I thought I had just been scammed and was sure my account would be cleaned out the following day. But about a half hour later I received a confirmation email with an 888 number so I called it and talked to a representative who assured me everything was on the up and up. Then two days after I placed the order, I received a call from a coupon representative (there was a field asking for my phone number on the order form, I don't remember if it was a required field) affiliated with Wipe New. They told me they were sending me a $60.00 gift card for Walmart and if I signed up for their coupon deal at a dollar a month, I could cancel anytime I wanted and keep the gift card. I told them I wasn't interested in signing up for anything I would then have to cancel, just please send me the product I had ordered. I received the Wipe New the following day. I'm glad I bought it and like they advertise, a little goes a long way.They also claim the shine will last for two years. I don't own any anodized reels but I bet it would work great on them too. I did do the reel handle and I'm not sure whether it's anodized or painted but it looks new now. One mistake I did make was using q-tips instead of the little spongy applicator and the q-tips left little strands of cotton fiber on the reel but hardly noticeable.

Nessie Hunter

Cool, thanks..   That is a big improvement.....   ;D
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....
WOW!!! WHAT A RIDE!

steelfish

the "after pic" looks really good, I will keep an eye on this product

thanks amigo
The Baja Guy