WD-40???

Started by cmaraj1, March 19, 2014, 05:00:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmaraj1

what is everyone take on using this as a oil and corrosion preventer?
a guy told me he uses it and has no problems on his penn reels. he also sprays the whole reel with it ?
is this good or bad or what?
his reel is shiny ??

Bryan Young

CorrosionX and Corrosion Block

Now, after servicing my reels, there is usually Yamaha Marine or Evinrude Triple Guard grease everywhere, and I just wipe it down where there may be microns of grease left of the reel.  So for, I haven't used anything after fishing with no ill affects.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 19, 2014, 05:04:38 PM
CorrosionX and Corrosion Block
x2 switched to CorrosionX after trying...

philaroman

WD40 breaks down other lubricants -- I always felt that it's good outside / bad inside.  if I use it to clean crud off internal parts, I rinse w/ Acetone to remove any WD40 residue before I apply grease/oil...  even for the outside, I spray it on a rag -- not directly on the reel.

Tightlines667

I agree, after completing over 150 reel refurbs now, I am beginning to view WD-40 on the internals as my nemesis.  Over time it degrades to a thick goey/Hardish varnish that sticks to everything...not fun to clean/remove, especially from anodized or corroded alum parts.  Works fine as a cleaning solvent, and on the outside but it's corrosion protection and degradation rate properties, make it far inferior to corrosion X, corrosion X HD, or Corrosion block.  A few years back I performed a 3 year test on some new SS pliers I left out in an exposed remote atoll salty air high humidity, high temp environment and corrosion X way outperformed the others.  Wiping the externals regularily w/WD-40 doesn't hurt but Corrosion X is worth the extra $.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

josa1

I also believe that WD40 is a good solvent that is very cheap.  I seem to remember that I paid only about $8.00 for a gallon can at Home Depot.

For a while I was using it to remove grease and clean out bearings, side plates and other components.  But after I did that I would wash the reels in a Dawn dish soap solution to remove the WD40.  I would say I got VERY clean parts by using this two stage cleaning system.

I think the good results were due to the WD40 doing a good job removing the grease and that the Dawn did a good job of removing the WD40.  This sounds a little complicated, huh?  ;D  I don't think I would ever use WD40 as a reel lubricant but it is very good to free up stuck parts.  josa1

Keta

WD-40 makes a good solvent/cleaner but that's all I use it for.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Capt Ahab

It tastes bad going down but what a kick it gives

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW