114 Penn

Started by turboal, June 22, 2010, 05:06:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turboal

Hi all, what is the diff between a 114 Blk sides and a 114h red sides ?
is it the bridge or the drag washer assm ? or something else ?

akfish

They are very different reels. Different bridge, main gear, pinion gear, drag washers, spools, end bearings (bushings on black side). They do have the same cross posts and foot if you get old models of each. The red 114H is faster with much more drag.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: akfish on June 22, 2010, 08:08:08 PM
They are very different reels. Different bridge, main gear, pinion gear, drag washers, spools, end bearings (bushings on black side). They do have the same cross posts and foot if you get old models of each. The red 114H is faster with much more drag.

Turboal,
If you want to see the difference in parts, go to www.mysticparts.com, click on "Find the Parts" then print the schematics and parts lists for the 114 and 114H. Compare the two and you'll see several 115 (9/0) components in the 114H (drags, ball bearings vs. bushings and such, like akfish mentions). The 114H is a little heavier duty if my logic is not all screwed up.

I like my Penn reels, but if you're thinking about buying one, beware of the Senators ending in a 2 (113-2, 114H2, etc.. They don't say "Made in U.S.A." anywhere on them, as in made in China. 'Nuff said . . . .

Rob

"Edited as per Moderators to correct Scott's Bait & Tackle over to their new store name Mystic Reel Parts / www.mysticparts.com"
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

alantani

yeah, totally different reels!
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

turboal

Hi all, I picked up a set of black 114 side plates and was going to replace my red sideplates with them. can i do it? will they fit ?

akfish

They won't fit. The black side plates are designed for the bushings used in a 114; the red side plates are designed for ball bearings. And dark red side plates use a different left side bearing that the newer bright red side plates. That said, the very earliest 114H reels had black side plates. If you have some of those, don't fish them! They are collectable.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Norcal Pescador

Quote from: turboal on June 24, 2010, 03:03:05 PM
Hi all, I picked up a set of black 114 side plates and was going to replace my red sideplates with them. can i do it? will they fit ?

First question: can I do it? Most likely it can be done, but may be costly in the long run. All parts not common (as in the actual part numbers) between the 114 and 114H will have to be replaced. Also you may lose performance. Using bushings instead of ball bearings, smaller drag washers, and lower speed if that matters.

Second question: will it fit? To a large extent that depends on what the outcome of the first question is. Trying to fit 114H parts into 114 sideplates would probably take some custom work on the sideplates and the 114H parts.

That's all I can think of for answers. Are you sure this is what you want to do?

Alan, Bryan, Tony, did I miss anything major?

Good luck with it!

Rob
Rob

Measure once, cut twice. Or is it the other way around? ::)

"A good man knows his limits." - Inspector Harry Callahan, SFPD

turboal

Hi all. sounds like a lot of work. anybody know of a set of Accurate
black side plates for sale ? how about a set of hi speed gears also ?

akfish

You may be able to find a set of black Accurate side plates on eBay; Accurate no longer makes them. But you have another problem: You can't just install the side plates, you also need the Accurate frame. That will make a nice albeit heavy reel. But it will also be very expensive by the time you get through.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

alantani

the spools are different as well.  alan
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!