Saltist 40H---Three Trips!

Started by Prefessa, March 20, 2014, 10:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prefessa

Only took 3 trips for the spool to corrode in a single spot down do the bare aluminum and for the spool bearing to scream on my new 40H. I am talking Cod n Pollack here....not Tuna.

The spool and bearing went off to Diawa this afternoon for warranty replacement...I hope there customer service is good, because I have never had an aluminum spool fail/corrode with just 20 hrs of service, despite cleaning with salt X/non ionic surfactant, rinsing and drying with a soft cloth after each trip.

Now for the question....should Aluminum spools on these mid range reels be treated/waxed/greased before spooling powerpro and a mono topshot??

Corrosion X.....Does it damage line/mono/braid?? Repel Fish?? I assume if I spray the topshot (60-75 ft) or wipe the flanges with Corrosion X I could help prevent this from happening again. I seemed to get more issues where the topshot is then on the braid. The area of the spool where the braid was spooled was clean as a whistle even though the braid gets wet on these trips between the big cast and the water depth.

From What I could surmise...the spool likely had a greasy fingerprint prior to anodizing that prevented the anodization from adhereing to that spot on the spool. It doesnt make sense for corrosion to be on a circular pattern all in the same spot like that down to the metal. If it was just salt damage I would have seen it other places on the spool.

As for the bearing...most folks upgrade those immediately...but three trips? All it took was one side hooked pollack of 6 lbs to get the bearing to scream.

The design is much more straight forward than my Torrium, and there is a heck of alot less plastic...better freespool/casting too. So I am not giving up just yet.

Assuming Diawa is in agreement I will likley do a total teardown based on the tutorials on this site. Have you guys had good experiences with Diawa CS??? 

mhc

I'll give my personal experience with saltists until you get a response from one of the repair professionals.

Spool - I haven't seen, or heard of, corrosion problems with a saltist spool. I know a few people that have at at least one, and I have handful bought new or second hand with varying degrees of use and abuse. The worst condition saltist I've bought was a well used 30T ($65) with a lot of boat rash, a lot of salt inside and corroded bearings. The spool was fine - without any signs of corrosion.

Spool bearings - Again, I haven't seen or heard of problems other than corrosion, You mention a lot of people upgrade the bearings, out of curiosity, is it for a higher abec rating for speed?

Back to your spool - I agree there is an issue with the finish on your spool - either before anodizing as you suggest or maybe contact with an oxidizing agent of some sort after anodizing - such as battery (sulfuric) acid or stomach (hydrochloric) acid.

Michael

It can't be too difficult - a lot of people do it.

Prefessa

Hi MHC:

Yes...BOCA braring makes and entire set for the saltist that included a small bearing to replace the bushing on the right sideplate. Likey for ABEC rating. The stock bearing doesn't have removable shields so if I continue to have issues then I will do a permanent removal of one side. Dont like to do that if I dont have to.

Funny corrosion pattern on that spool that looks like its from a contaminated Thumb Print...round 1/2" in diameter and a rash down to the bare aluminum in a single spot.

Thats why I asked...since most of the folks here do PM on brand new reels painting the insides with grease and installing some upgrades right from the get go.

Bought the reel to replace my Torium which had corrosion isses I could not stop no mater what I slathered on the reel, salt-X. T-9 Boushield ect. ...So at that point I just chalked is up to perhaps....Torium being Japanese for CORROSION...LOL!