Braid for Deepwater Heavy Iron.

Started by Prefessa, March 21, 2014, 01:10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

doradoben

Professa... White Izorline and white Jerry Brown don't have a coating. Both are widely used on the west coast and last a long time. Years ago Power Pro had a waxy coating, but I don't know if it still does.

erikpowell

Quote from: Bryan Young on March 21, 2014, 07:16:25 PM
I'm thinking that the line is not tight enough and digs in.

I have not done any jigging yet, but I've always had a concern with the tightness of the line coming back on the spool when high speed jigging and the line digging in.  I think I would rather use spinner for high speed jigging becuause the line criss crosses constantly which will reduce any of the line digging in as you are encountering.

Bryan, you nailed it..  ;)

Prefessa

Quote from: erikpowell on March 30, 2014, 06:41:25 AM
Quote from: Bryan Young on March 21, 2014, 07:16:25 PM
I'm thinking that the line is not tight enough and digs in.

I have not done any jigging yet, but I've always had a concern with the tightness of the line coming back on the spool when high speed jigging and the line digging in.  I think I would rather use spinner for high speed jigging becuause the line criss crosses constantly which will reduce any of the line digging in as you are encountering.

Bryan, you nailed it..  ;)

Guys, this is not high speed jigging . You hit the bottom , crank two turns and yo yo . The fish are hard to the bottom. If you hook up and land a fish the line will get spooled dead tight , the next cast will be worse than if you reeled up the jig to reset.
You get a decent cast, no blowups, but on the jigs decent the line grabs in spots and it slows down the descent of the iron. Some of the grabs can be bad enough to spin the spool backwards. So the jig starts n stops......

They do anything similar out west ?? Maybe for lingcod ?? Or halibut?

Ron Jones

I do exactly that with pipe jigs, but I have never had any issues with the line grabbing unless someone else brings the jig up. It is just the need to be disciplined to load the spool as tight as you can comfortably through the fingers.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

erikpowell

Quote from: noyb72 on March 31, 2014, 02:16:15 AM
I do exactly that with pipe jigs, but I have never had any issues with the line grabbing unless someone else brings the jig up. It is just the need to be disciplined to load the spool as tight as you can comfortably through the fingers.
Ron

I'm speed jigging here... the slow bounce is no problem for me with an overhead.. But it's what Ron said about packing your line, I find it too difficult, almost unmanageable for me when speed jigging... it slows my mojo  :D.... That's why I speed jig with spinners.
My overheads still have their place in the rocket launchers when it come time to toss a big curly tail or a little lucanus jig.
Different tools for different jobs on my end.