Braid for Deepwater Heavy Iron.

Started by Prefessa, March 21, 2014, 01:10:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prefessa

Guys:

Been using powerpro for many years and the one thing I dont like is that when casting heavy iron....The line ticks and grabs and digs as the jig is desending which negates some of your effective casting distance since it takes longer for the jig to hit bottom.

Are any of the "Left Coast" braids better for this like Jerry Brown or Izorline?? Some say Suffix 832 is better for jigging reels. Cortland braid boasts like 12 strands so it should be rounder??

Any rccomendations...suggestions?

Three se7ens

I'm not a fan of sufix 832. The 80 lb was the worst line I've used. I've been pretty happy with 80 lb izorline. It's very soft and smooth but it's a little on the thick side. The jerry brown I have is very good, although my favorite right now is daiwa saltiga braid. It's soft, smooth, and is a metered line.

Prefessa

Greetings....Dont need Metered....The fish are within 5 ft of the bottom for my application.

As for IZORLINE...which one?? I know its thick....but I only fish either 50 or 65 and I want to throw a big cast and have the jig find bottom quickly so I can cover ground. +

There is a captain Up in Maine that is a fan....He likes the fish belly white. Just dont know if they make different grades...or Strand#s

Keta

Izor is not "thick".  I'd suggest either Izor or JB, both are good but I use JB because I have an account with Jerry.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Bucktail

Three se7ens, what was it specifically you didn't like about the Sufix 832?  I was thinking about getting some.
Just a jig-a-lo

spottybastard

Quote from: Prefessa on March 21, 2014, 01:10:31 AM
Guys:

Been using powerpro for many years and the one thing I dont like is that when casting heavy iron....The line ticks and grabs and digs as the jig is desending which negates some of your effective casting distance since it takes longer for the jig to hit bottom.

Are any of the "Left Coast" braids better for this like Jerry Brown or Izorline?? Some say Suffix 832 is better for jigging reels. Cortland braid boasts like 12 strands so it should be rounder??

Any rccomendations...suggestions?

I use power pro and never have this problem.  Maybe... the line is not spooled tight enough?

Bryan Young

I'm thinking that the line is not tight enough and digs in.

I have not done any jigging yet, but I've always had a concern with the tightness of the line coming back on the spool when high speed jigging and the line digging in.  I think I would rather use spinner for high speed jigging becuause the line criss crosses constantly which will reduce any of the line digging in as you are encountering.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Prefessa

Folks:

This is east coast Deep Yo-yo jigging, 12-16 oz iron, 300+ ft of water, drifting boat. Trust me its not a spooling issue, The line is very tight and the problem is even worse after cranking in a biggun. The line grabs n ticks in places and it slows down the decent of the jig.

Been using this stuff for a long time....I dont mind it but I need to throw a mighty big cast (Underhand) to cover ground.

If Izorline doesnt do this....I'll give it a go. The Brutally Strong is whats recomended?? Fish Belly White would be my choice...

I dont know if they do that sort of deep drop bottom jigging in your area....but I do know that you folks were the first to embrace Spectra.

The old timers in my area fished Hercules Kite line for Bridge Fishing in NJ for big stripers enableing them to winch a 15# fish 60 ft in the air.

bluefish69

It sounds like you are fishing on the Bunny Clark & you are pounding bottom. When you through the Jig up tide & start pounding your way back to the boat is when the line is spooled loosely. Then the boat starts getting past the Jig you. Let it go a little more till you get to the part of the line you casted. This should keep the spool tight. I fish at Eastman's & get the same problem.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Bryan Young

I wonder if wetting you line first would help?
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Prefessa

Bryan:

No It didnt help....I think it has to do with the shape. PP is a 4 thread braid so its a cube. The more threads the mnore round. Also coatings...some braids have heavy sticky waxes on it

Prefessa

Quote from: bluefish69 on March 21, 2014, 08:46:36 PM
It sounds like you are fishing on the Bunny Clark & you are pounding bottom. When you through the Jig up tide & start pounding your way back to the boat is when the line is spooled loosely. Then the boat starts getting past the Jig you. Let it go a little more till you get to the part of the line you casted. This should keep the spool tight. I fish at Eastman's & get the same problem.

Mike

Mike: Tim was a fan of IZORLINE from day 1....he fishes IZORLINE on a Bob Nixon Progear 454(YTS). Those reels are special cause Bob machines the sideplates and frames from glass rienforced Nylon, then he puts in his own SS gears and adds an assist bearing. The reel is smokin!

Watched Tim Tower pull a 71# Cod a few winters ago on a private trip on Walshes American Classic where we fished south of the cape off in the deep....what fishing!! Bob Nixon was second runner up with a 63...on his left hand converted Newell 533-4.6

Do you have any peronal experience with Izorline??

bluefish69

I don't go North to much now that I am 68. I never heard of the person you said did all that great work. A P-332 is enough for me with Ceramic Bearing. I have to get a few Derlin inserts made but I don't use this size reels much unless I am on the KingCod. At Eastman's a few of us Squid for the fish works good & keeps the line tight. Working on the Marilyn Jean IV I don't need a big reel.

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Three se7ens

Quote from: Bucktail on March 21, 2014, 05:33:36 PM
Three se7ens, what was it specifically you didn't like about the Sufix 832?  I was thinking about getting some.

The durability was far below normal for braided lines.  That is the only line I have used that I  had to cut off the last 10-20 feet after every single trip.  It's not like I was fishing heavy structure or the line was getting unusual wear.  The breaking strength is poor for its diameter, and falls off sharply as the line gets any wear. 

Keta, izorline 80 is more along the lines of a 100 lb line in both breaking strength and diameter.  I've been very happy with it, but capacity can be an issue in spinning reels.

http://www.paulusjustfishing.com/4linetesting.htm

I've also used the tasline hollow he sells.  It's a good line, and I have nothing bad to say about it other than it's pretty expensive. 

That's a good reference for comparing lines, just remember that those tests are ultimate strength, and knots in braid typically test between 50-70% of the lines breaking strength.

I also like power pro super 8 slick for light lines for inshore fishing. 

thedw

i love japanese PE.

try out YGK

or SUNLINE HG JIGGER X8..

bloody good stuff