Avet EX 30 drag question

Started by Fishemup, March 21, 2014, 10:55:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fishemup

Bought a new EX 30 on EBay and had it shipped to my Son who was coming to visit me in Puerto Vallarta where I spend the winter. Just spooled up the reel and I noticed that I cannot back off the drag very far. I can tighten it, but have no way to back it off. This is the second EX 30 I have and the other reel backs way off. Unfortunately I can't mail the reel back to the seller or Avet since I am in Mexico. Is there something I can look for if I tear into it or should I wait to send it back to Avet in a couple months when I go back to CA?
Thanks,
Paul

Keta

It sounds like the cams (40 and 42) are out of position.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Tightlines667

X2
or check the Belleville stack, it may have been modified from stock () config or thickness..therby reducing the space between cam assembly and pinion.  
There is a good tutorial here

http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=1586.0

And schematic is here:

http://www.avetreels.net/uploads/EX30.pdf

that will guide you through the disassemble/rebuild procedure if your comfortable doing so.  Also, if your going to break it down, might as well 'Taninize' it, light marine grease throughout, Cal's on CF washer, non spool packed w/grease, spool shoelds removed w/TSI 301 or corrosion X if you want good freespool, packed w/grease if you want max longevity.
Hope springs eternal
for the consumate fishermen.

Fishemup

Thanks for the suggestions. I will follow the tutorial and give it a look. Not doing me any good sitting in the closet.
Paul

alantani

crud, i was just there yesterday!!!!! 
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Fishemup

What?
I would have bought you many beers to have you look over my shoulder while breaking into the EX30. I now remember you were going to do a Maximus trip, is that what you did? Was that the trip with all the cows?
Paul

alantani

yes, we fished on the maximus. the big fish was the one that i caught and it taped out at 152 pounds.  if we come down again, can we hook up?
send me an email at alantani@yahoo.com for questions!

Fishemup

I hope so. Always nice to see a familiar face from home. I live right around the corner from Maximus, South side of the Marina Nuevo. Glad you got the big one!
Paul