Spooling a 113h

Started by fsrmn, March 22, 2014, 12:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fsrmn

My black sided 113 is spooled with 300 yds Suffix 65# braid and topped off with  Suffix 50# mono. I  fish mostly from a pier or surf. I just bought a newer 113h from a member here and it has a Tiburon narrow spool and a 5 stack carbontex drag. I was wondering  what would be the best line to put on  it to get the maximum use from it?
Not all fishing is done with rod and reel.

Keta

I spooled mine with JB 60# hollow with 600' of 65# solid on top and a 5" 50# mono topshot but it's used exclusively as a deep water (300'-700') Pacific halibut reel.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

fsrmn

The braid tends to get nicked up pretty bad on the sand and shells here. I was thinking of all 30# mono but you can get so much more braid on at a heavier poundage.
Does anyone see anything wrong with using an albright knot with super glue to connect the braid to mono?

Ron Jones

There are certainatly lots of people that do it. I prefer a different knot but the Albright works. Your reel is the same size as Sal's TANK and he fishes it with 100 pound braid I believe, so I think you are on the right track. I would recomend 80ish braid topped with your choice of mono.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

LTM

Quote from: Keta on March 22, 2014, 12:17:33 AM
I spooled mine with JB 60# hollow with 600' of 65# solid on top and a 5" 50# mono topshot but it's used exclusively as a deep water (300'-700') Pacific halibut reel.
Lee,

You put HOLLOW as a BASE, then used SOLID ON TOP, why this way instead of solid  >> shorter section of hollow >> topshot of mono/floro?  Why do you have this reel setup EXCLUSIVELY FOR HALIBUT with 4:1 gears like this?

Leo

Keta

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

I hear you on the braid getting nicked up. I take it you are fishing from the Shore or pier in Florida? I have had 100 lb braid cut like it was thread from shells and other fish. I am exclusively a mono man now.
I might use braid for backing or preferably jb hollow, but my main line has to be mono. I'm fishing bigger Senators and have the line capacity to pull that off.
Life is Good!

fsrmn

Yes, the Florida shore is tough on braid. Even with mono, we usually cut off the last 10 ft  or so when we re-rig due to nicks and cuts.  I thought about hollow core, but I thought I could get more line on using regular braid. With a narrow spool I want to get as much line on as possible. I have been deep into the braid several times in the past. Once ,on a big stingray, I could see my reel post before I got it turned. That's why I use a lighter mono than braid so I can break it off and still keep the expensive stuff.

Shark Hunter

That was my first trip, I let a Buddy spool his 114h with 80 lb power pro. I was fishing a 9/0 with straight 100 lb depth hunter. He had a good fish on and it cut off like a knife. I think it was another Shark. Now a days I fish some big rigs that really have no chance of getting cut off. I'm sure it can happen, anything can in fishing, but I feel pretty confident in these. 12' of #22 toothproof wire, then about 12 more of cable with a sliding trace. All double crimped with stainless thimbles. Then a 8/0 Roscoe crimped to 130lb mono mainline. Once I get a hold of the leader, its all over. ;)
Life is Good!

fsrmn

This is a shark rig a friend made for me. He likes to use double hooks and an aqdditional "spider" weight to keep the bait stationary in the current. He prefers the longline clip to a swivel and 10' of 200# leader to stainless cable. All connections are  crimped and taped to avoid any snags. Boca Grande Pass has a strong current and BIG hammerheads.

Shark Hunter

Nice! That looks like an awful big rig for a 113H. ;D
I'm fishing 12 and 14/0 Senators. I usually fish the bay side and the current is almost non-existent. I only use a one ounce weight. I kayak my baits out and drop them.
Life is Good!

fsrmn

Yes, it is too big for my  113 or 113h. It is used on a 12/0 or an 80w international. Even then it is heavy. Funny it doesn't seem to slow the shark down.

fsrmn

I am finally getting around to spooling my 113h narrow.  I have decided on 500yds of 65lb braid with 100yds of Sufix 50lb leader as a top shot.  According to the line estimator, that should fill it properly.  I am looking at how to connect the braid to the spool.  Several types of tape are recommended, with electrical being the common choice, to keep the braid from spinning on the spool.  A couple of posts say that the spool will corrode under the tape and recommend mono (2 layers of 50lb).  Some post also say to wet the braid before spooling and keep at least 8lb of tension on the braid to keep it from burying into the spool, also to criss-cross the braid every couple of yds or so.  It seemed to me that crossing the braid would make it fatter on the spool allowing less line to be used.
  On my 113 I used mono against the spool connected to the braid with a modified Albright knot.  I didn't check the tension while spooling the braid, but I haven't been spooled to the braid yet to see if it would bury itself. Any suggestion or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

wax the spool no. of times for some protection or apply corrosion x and let dry. i use surgical tape along the width of the arbor...

AJ

Jerry Brown's web site has some info on spooling spectra that my help.
http://www.jerry-brown-industries.com/841.html