powerhouse 288 gearbox??

Started by sundancer, March 22, 2014, 01:59:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sundancer

Gentlemen...

First.  Thank you for all the information sharing here.  I have been picking up quite a few old Penn's this winter and this Site is a wealth of information.  Many of my decisions have been made with the info here.

I am currently looking at a 60 with the Powerhouse 288 Trans.  This is the first I have heard of this.  Do you guys have any information on it?

Thanks
Steve
VB
Miles to go.....,

Shark Hunter

I saw that too Steve. Hopefully someone will fill us in. ;D
Life is Good!

sundancer

SH

If it is the same one on eBay, are you bidding on it?

S
Miles to go.....,

Porthos

Two chances to get one's hands on a "Powerhouse 288":
http://www.ebay.com/itm/PENN-SQUIDDER-140-WITH-POWERHOUSE-288-GEARBOX-/271428907978?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f326c73ca

Here's a link that might be of interest. Read down to page 2:
http://alantani.com/index.php?topic=5230.15

sundancer

Thanks Porthos

I saw that from a Google search i just didn't see the 1st page.  That 1st has some of the info i was looking for. 

The reel i am looking at is a Penn 60, not the Squidder in the other link..

S
Miles to go.....,

Shark Hunter

Quote from: sundancer on March 22, 2014, 10:45:00 PM
SH

If it is the same one on eBay, are you bidding on it?

S
No Sundancer, I'm not. I just thought it was interesting.
Life is Good!

sundancer

Wow

That doppy Reel bid price doubled over night.  I have a few Penn 60's and this one, even with the Gearbox is above my comfort level. 

Will be watching it this evening to see what it goes for..

Steve
Miles to go.....,

Normslanding

Ok here is a little about transmissions. There were two that were mainly in production. Power House, and Reel-Deal. The Power House is a one speed gear box, the Reel-Deal is a two speed. The Power house is more compact and sits closer to the reel. We would take a Penn power handle and put two bends in it to move the end of the handle closer to the reel, like some handles today.
Now for the Power House, The guys (like Chuck Graham) that used these a lot preferred the Power House. It's compact size made it easier to use. The reels of choice was a Penn 66, 60, 4/0 with modification, and a 259. The 4/0 being the strongest was great but the gear casing required filing down to make it work. That left the gears open to water intrusion. Next was a 66 just for the size. The 60 is also good and the 259 is a little to wide.
The spline that connects to the reel, and replaces the handle screw in very different for both brands. The spline part the fits into a reel-Real has many flutes. If you lose one they are very hard to replace or duplicate. The spline for the Power House is a piece of hex stock with threads on the end and is easy to duplicate.
Not having a low gear the Power house is hard to wind on a fish, you have to pump the fish. This is hard if using 60 or 80lb. line. 40lb. on a Penn 60 is a lot easier. If my memory serves me a 2.5:1 reel (like a 60) with a Power House gave you about a 7 to 8:1 gear ratio.
If you want to YoYo they are great. Drop a scrambled egg 6X Jr to the bottom wind like hell for 10/15 cranks and drop in back. Yellowtail can't resist.
Two modern reels that would do this job are the Okuma Cedros 20LD, and the Diawa 7.0:1 gear ratio reels. My choice would be the lightning fast Cedros 20. It is big and bulky but VERY strong. You would have to use the rail as it does not have a low gear.
Back to the Power House...... It takes some doing to align a transmission on a reel. When it is aligned correctly the handle will turn freely.
I hope the is not to much, hope it helps.       Good luck.

sundancer

Norm...

You write up helps.  I have since seen some bits and pieces about both. 

I assume, as it wasn't mentioned anywhere, that both were quality systems, potentially only plagued with issues due to being 'added on' and gear ratios, like you mentioned.  No comments that they stripped, broke off, etc.

Thanks
S
Miles to go.....,

Porthos

Quote from: sundancer on March 23, 2014, 12:31:33 AM...The reel i am looking at is a Penn 60, not the Squidder in the other link.

S

Understood. Thought it was the gearbox you were really after, but the reel itself is of consequence to you as well. At the current bids (w/ 8+ hrs before closing), the price differential of what a Powerhouse 288 is worth by itself is hovering at $55-$80 after subtracting a comparable amount for the reels themselves. Were you getting one with the intention to use?

The one challenge with eBay is one has to compete with the "collectors." They are willing to bid up prices to have something to put on a shelf. It consistently happens for decent condition Penn 970's and 980's--I've been hunting for one of these for over two years and have watched the behavior pattern repeat like a broken record (dang, I think I just dated myself with that last analogy).

sundancer

P

I was looking to use it, but i don't have experience with it so it might become a shelf item.  

I threw a couple of dollars at it.  There is somebody out there with an auto-bid setup.  It countered mine immediately.

I am also looking at a 300S so i might let the 60/Powerhouse go..  

S
Miles to go.....,

Normslanding

They are both of a decent quality. The Reel-Real was well engineered and made very well. it's draw back is it is bulky. The Power house is not as well engineered and of a looser tolerance, but does the job. The one on ebay with the Penn 60 is very nice. $80 for the trans. and $30 for a nice Penn 60
a little to ship = $130. There were several at the Fred Hall show. You might look around, but don't pay a lot more.

sundancer

Still some room til $130..

Still watching..

S
Miles to go.....,

sundancer

Wound up selling for $107.50.  I tried a couple more times.  Somebody wanted it reel  (  :-)  ) bad.  I also lost on a 112.  Fishing season must be soon.  ;-).

Thanks for your help.
Steve
Miles to go.....,