Squidder 140

Started by Shark Hunter, March 21, 2014, 07:15:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shark Hunter

I didn't have a Squidder in my Collection yet, besides Tom's 146.  I stumbled across this little Beauty. I'm working on the Jigmasters. I have the Surfmasters pretty much nailed down. Quite a few Baymasters and Beachmasters. I really like the little 180, I was looking for a 146 when I found this Cherry 140.
;) Seemed like a good place to start. ;D
Life is Good!

Keta

One of the antique shops in town has a 140 that I looked at but it has a cracked right sideplate and a lot of corrosion so I doubt I will buy it.  They also had a nice 350 w/box and everything that came with it but someone gouged their name in both of the sideplates.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Shark Hunter

Lee. Are the Squidders just like the Surfmasters? Meaning they all use the same sleeve?
Life is Good!

Ron Jones

They use the same sleeve, but the squidder is different inside. It has bearings instead of bushings.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

bluefish69

Watch that DOG SPRING. I lost 2 about a year ago & the 2 Cats can't find them

Mike
I have not failed.  I just found 10,000 ways that won't work.

Surfrat

Both surfmaster and squidder use different spool, different side plates, and different pinion gear.  The other differences are that the Squidder is slightly faster at 3.3:1 than the Surfmaster at 3:1, and the Surfmaster doesn't have the secondary anti-reverse lever that allows the Squidder's handle to backwind(a plus, especially when trying to seat the dog spring). The Surfmaster shares the single screw take-down feature, the same frame, and the reinforced side plates idea.

The Penn Surfmasters, Jigmasters, and Squidders share similar parts so there are parts that are interchangeable.

Ron Jones

Don't forget the beachmasters. Well, I guess fewer parts are factory but you can swap a lot.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"