mitchell 300 series reel repair

Started by RichPak1, March 24, 2014, 04:47:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RichPak1

I have a Mitchell 300 series reel that I just recently restored. I cleaned everything and put it back together exactly as I took it apart. My problem is, that I cant get the reel head and guide rod to stay permanently seated it just comes right out when you pull on it. Also I noticed that the reel head does not move up and down to allow the line to wind on evenly. I know its an old reel but is it supposed to do that? any ideas or comments would greatly appreciated.

harryk3616

try going on you tube, type in mitchell 300 and there is a video on overhauling

RichPak1

Yeah I found a couple of different ones on u tube. Nothing gets specific about the reel head. Even though, they have a video dedicated to the reel head. Thanks for the insight though

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Rich welcome to the "neighborhood"...

RichPak1

Thanks, I live in south Mississippi. Fishing is great here! Mostly saltwater. I just got into restoring reels. Kind of teaching myself as I go.

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: RichPak1 on March 25, 2014, 12:15:46 AM
Thanks, I live in south Mississippi. Fishing is great here! Mostly saltwater. I just got into restoring reels. Kind of teaching myself as I go.

you're in the right place. make sure to use teflon grease on your CF washers, preferably Cal's grease, or you're just an honorary member... :D ;D

harryk3616

what do you mean by reel head,  the spool shaft has a hole in the bottom and the plate with the the notches for the gear that makes the spool go up and down has a pin on the bottom side that goes into the shaft hole, thus locking the spool shaft in place so it doesn't lift out.

philaroman

don't know much about Mitchell, but it sounds like the spool shaft is not attached to the oscillating mechanism (missing or broken screw)...  i.e., what Harry said

BTW, there's a whole Forum out there, just for Mitchell/Conolon: http://mitchellreelmuseum.com/forum/

OldSchool

Rich, if that plate isn't at its lowest point of travel when you put the gear in it doesn't function properly when assembled.

RichPak1

I figured out what I was doing wrong. I either lost the gear plate that holds the spool shaft in place or it was never there to begin with. I was very meticulous about how I laid out the parts. I don't recall ever seeing that piece. I know one you had told me of a place that I might order parts. Can you give me the name of the website again?

foakes

Hi Rich --

If this is what you need -- and you haven't found one yet -- I would send it out to you in the mail.

This is the geared oscillator plate with a pin for the spool shaft.

You will need to try a few positions when reassembling the plate with the oscillator gear -- so it works back and forth without stopping.

Another hint if you haven't already figured it out -- there are very thin copper shim spacer washers that go North of the pinion gear so that the rotating head and pinion gear run smooth.  These need to be sometimes played with for proper smooth operation.  Some 300s require only one or two -- some require a couple of extra -- depending on the wear already experienced in the reel's lifetime.

If you need it -- let me know, and I will send it out -- along with a couple of shims just in case.

Best Regards,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

D-A-M Quick, Penn, Mitchell, and ABU/Zebco Cardinals

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

RichPak1

Hey Fred,

That's exactly what I am looking for! I think I saved the shims you are talking about. How much do you want for that piece? Here is my address:

Rich Pakula
18018 LaRue Road
Vancleave, MS, 39565

Thanks again for your help. The reel belonged to a special friend of mine who passed away from cancer a couple years ago. I would really like to get it back up and running and I feel like I am so close.

Rich

foakes

Hi Rich --

No charge on the parts --

I will send them off this afternoon.

If you wish -- You can send me $3 or $4 to handle the postage after you receive the parts.

I'm sure you will be able to put the reel back into operating condition with no issues -- but if you want some help, there are many folks on this board who could do a complete service job for you -- or you could send it to me, if you run into pesky issues.

But it sounds like you are almost there -- and learning in the process!

The only good fishing reel is one that works properly -- otherwise its just a paperweight.

All the Best,

Fred
The Official, Un-Authorized Service and Restoration Center for quality vintage spinning reels.

--------

The first rule of fishing is to fish where the fish are. The second rule of fishing is to never forget the first rule.

"Enjoy the little things in Life — For someday, you may look back — and realize that they were the big things"
                                                     Fred O.

foakes

OK, Rich --

It's on the way.

Best,

Fred

--------

Fred O.

Irish Jigger

Fred, it's people like you that make this the great site it is.
Thank's for your generosity.