rigging dead bait for halibut

Started by Mandelstam, March 24, 2014, 04:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandelstam

What's the best way for rigging a dead whole bait on a circle hook? I'm talking about pollock in the 1-3 lb size. The whole thing is new ground for me as the only thing I've targeted with dead or live bait before is pike.

I really like the simple elegance of a bridle rig. The circle hook is free and has a lot of freedom to work it's magic.

What other nice dead bait rigs for circle hooks are there?

Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Ron Jones

I've never had any problem with a spreader rig. The two hooks are nice and I like the way the bait is presented.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Shark Hunter

Here is how I rig mine Karl. I usually put the hook through both lips. I know it seems simple enough. I have tried much more complicated methods. Zip tying and hiding the hook. This way works for me and they usually don't get away. ;)
Life is Good!

Mandelstam

"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Cone

This post reminds me of a girl I saw at a store the other day. She looked like she passed out and fell face first into a tackle box. I wish I had my pliers with me. I think I could have helped her.  ;D ;D  Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD

Mandelstam

Haha, you should have seen me when I was 16, Bob! ;) Punk rocker with a vengeance! And I wouldn't have let you near me with any pliars... ;P

Cone

Karl, I think about how I looked at that age and cringe. I did know to stay away from sharp objects.  ;)  ;D Bob
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est." (A sword is never a killer, it is a tool in the killer's hands.)
   -    Lucius Annaeus Seneca, circa 4 BC – 65 AD