Fishing off the rocks help

Started by Brute347, March 25, 2014, 03:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brute347

Good morning everyone,

So I finally decided on my setup. Got 3 sets of shimano teramars 7'11" and 7' 4" with daiwa ld 20h and hyperspeed reels-

I'm hoping now that you guys might be able to help me with some good setups for fishing off of the rocks. Artificial lures that you have had luck with or using live/cut bait.

I'm up for anything, I'm very excited about starting.

I tried to find info in here but I'm useless with it!

Thank you in advanced

P.s I'm running 30 and 40 lb braid

Capt Ahab

Ron Jones

Quote from: Capt Ahab on March 25, 2014, 04:21:46 PM
Where are you fishing?   ???
What he said. "Off the rocks" just doesn't provide enough data. I have fished off surf jetties forever and the curly tailed grub is always in my box. Other than that, we need more info.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Brute try searching in these 3 other Boards?

Setting Up Your Reel To Go Fishing
Fishing Line, Knots, Splices and Rigging
Fishing Tips and Techniques

good luck and tight lines...

Brute347

The Los Angeles area in calif.
Off the surf, Jerry's about 300-600 foot long.
Piers as well but I'm more concerned on setups for Jerry's ( off the rocks ) and the surf.

I don't care what I catch as long as I catch, hehe. But I do love halibut, rockfish, flounder... Don't know much else that can be found there...

I always use squid or mackerel so I'm open to artificial lure suggestions / rigs :)

Brute347

Mel, is that in here? I haven't seen that

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

yes it's in the same group as Fishing Rods. btw there's also section for Lures...

LTM

Quote from: Brute347 on March 25, 2014, 06:32:24 PM
The Los Angeles area in calif.
Off the surf, Jerry's about 300-600 foot long.
Piers as well but I'm more concerned on setups for Jerry's ( off the rocks ) and the surf.

I don't care what I catch as long as I catch, hehe. But I do love halibut, rockfish, flounder... Don't know much else that can be found there...

I always use squid or mackerel so I'm open to artificial lure suggestions / rigs :)
LA area = San Pedro to Malibu. If your in the South Bay area check with Pete at Just Fishing in Redondo Beach. He can referr you to some good fishing spots and rigging suggestions.

Leo

Ron Jones

I'm not sure if their is a place to do this in the LA area, but I used to get a few chovies from the bait dock and keep them alive by swapping water in a 5 gallon bucket and fish them off a 3 way rig. Worked for everything you listed and croaker, perch etc. Swimbaits will work, the aforementioned curly tail but my favorite artificial off a jetty is a 2 tailed white 6-8" scampi retrived redicoulously slow. I used a slow gear ratio reel and made one revolution of the handle and then counted to 20 as slow as I could and then did another revolution. It always suprised me when I started to reel and suddenly realized that a halibut or yellowfin was sucking on my lure.

Any way you do it, lots and lots of fun.
Ron
Ronald Jones
To those who have gone to sea and returned and to those who have gone to sea and will never return
"

Bryan Young

Swim baits like "Big Hammer" have been very productive.  Also Berkeley Gulp Camo Sandworms are great artificles.

I don't use as much bait as I used to unless I'm still fishing (Cast out our weight and bait and wait).

Good luck.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

Capt Ahab

Cannot help you at all  - you are on the wrong coast!  ;D

Are there striped bass where you fish?  If so, we gots lures for those beasties

Other then that, good luck to you

OldSchool

Off jetties and piers I always go a paternoster rig or running sinker....seems to work wherever you are. If off the jetty make the topshot or shock leader as long as the distance from the jetty to the water and save hassles cutting hands trying to lift fish up with braid unless of course your using a flying gaff. 

Brute347

Thanks guys,

That's a lot of info and things to research, I appreciate it. I fish at redondo pier a lot so I'll go look for that place :)

Thanks guys

SoCalAngler

Be careful where you decide to fish. Piers are fine but other areas such as jetties and beaches may be closed do to the work of the of all the enviro-green weenies here in So Cal. With all of the MLPA closers it's getting hard to find open areas to fish. Check the DFG maps for the area you want to fish here https://www.dfg.ca.gov/marine/mpa/

Dr. Jekyll - AKA MeL B

Quote from: Brute347 on January 17, 1970, 03:43:24 AM
I fish at redondo pier a lot so I'll go look for that place :) 

i'll probably see you there in the very near future...