114h Main Gear Question

Started by Delcampo, June 24, 2010, 10:24:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Delcampo

I'm upgrading my 114h with a stainless steel gear sleeve/yoke, accurate frame and HT 100 greased drag washers.  It's a newer model, and I'm concerned with the brass main gear.  It seems like it would be the weak link in the system.  Are the older type "steel" main gears stronger? Cuz I can still get them. 
Thanks, Greg

broadway

When you say "new" I assume you mean made in china (the H2 Series?)  If you can get your paws on the stainless gears I would just make sure they're for the 114(H).  It'll give you that extra confidence you want when you got the big one on.  I guess it all depends what your going for, but I would anyway cause I like overbuilt products. Good going on the greased drags and the ever-stable, accurate frame.  The best upgrade are the greased drags (you will feel the difference!) If you have an outlet you want to share for some of those 6/0 stainless gears let me know I could use 4 or 5.  Thanks
Dom

akfish

Steel is definitely stronger than brass. But the stock brass 114H main gear is very heavy duty. It's heavy with large teeth. Only very, very rarely do I see 114H gears that have gotten shredded. That's not the case with 113H, 320 or 500 (Jigmaster) gears.
Taku Reel Repair
Juneau, Alaska

Bryan Young

Quote from: broadway on June 25, 2010, 04:43:07 AM
If you can get your paws on the stainless gears I would just make sure they're for the 114(H).
Dom

I'm not sure if the gears are stainless.  I know in the past, they were made of steel.  Much stronger, but you have to keep them well greased.
:D I talk with every part I send out and each reel I repair so that they perform at the top of their game. :D

broadway

If they aren't stainless just grease the hell out of 'em...in my opinion I would rather get rid of the weak points in a reel if I can. The regular gears are probably just fine unless you're hunting sea monsters :) Thanks
Dom

Delcampo

Gentlemen,
Thank you for the input.  Dom, the steel gears are available on Ebay, about 17 bucks with the pinion.  The Email is embrod@yahoo.com.  Thanks, Greg

broadway