Snaps, split rings or what?

Started by Mandelstam, March 27, 2014, 06:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Keta

Swivel and loop connections, make sure the loop ones are set like in the photo.  These are 16/0 Mustad circle hooks rigged with 150# mono.

The other end.

My go to butt rig.

Large iron waiting to be contoured, see the butt ring and my small torch.

Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Mandelstam

Thanks for the pics Lee! That is some serious iron you got there!

How do you fish the giant hoochie? Trolling? Drifting? With bait?

"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Keta

Quote from: Mandelstam on March 28, 2014, 09:03:04 PM
Thanks for the pics Lee! That is some serious iron you got there!

How do you fish the giant hoochie? Trolling? Drifting? With bait?

Drifting with bait 500'-700' deep (152m-213m).  I put a slider on my topshot above the swivel with a 36" (1m) dropper and 36-48 oz. (1.2-1.36 KG) lead.

BTW, I have some real "giant" shell squid (hoochies)24" (609mm) too.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Mandelstam

Quote from: Keta on March 28, 2014, 09:13:31 PM

BTW, I have some real "giant" shell squid (hoochies)24" (609mm) too.

Oh.. That really is Giant. :) Would love to see your giant hoochie sometime Lee! ;)

BTW, how do the halibut usually take a dead bait? Stop and swallow, or does it run off with it? When do you start to put pressure on it to set the circle hook?
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Keta

I'll try to get a photo of the large shell squid and post it this evening.

USUALY, a butt will inhale the bait and you feel a tap or a tap, tap, tap.  Give it slack and let it make a run, usually 10'-20' (3m-6m).  When it stops put your reel in gear, point rod toward the fish, wait until the drift takes up the slack, then crank  until hook is "set".  Then raise rod up for the fight.

Mark Twain

Mandelstam

Keta

They pound iron, keep your drag fairly loose and hang on.

Mark Twain

Keta

I couldn't find my 24" ones but these 21" ones are big.

Mark Twain

Mandelstam

Jeez, they are big.. :P

You use them for halibut as well or tuna trolling?

Keta

They were donated for swordfish and sharks.

Mark Twain

Nuvole

Quote from: Keta on March 28, 2014, 08:05:04 PM
Swivel and loop connections, make sure the loop ones are set like in the photo.  These are 16/0 Mustad circle hooks rigged with 150# mono.

Did you pry open the eye of the hook to insert the swivel?

Keta

Yes, I did.  I put the hook in my vice and twist the eye open with a punch inserted into the eye then close it with my vice.  I also file down and recontour the point to make the gap wider.

Mark Twain

Mandelstam

What are the two different ways of mounting the hook good for? I mean are they used for different kind of fishing or bait?

Nuvole

Quote from: Mandelstam on March 29, 2014, 03:45:57 PM
What are the two different ways of mounting the hook good for? I mean are they used for different kind of fishing or bait?

Circle hook works with snell, hence the method photo w/o swivel work better. Shark tend to roll hence the swivel works better.

Keta

I use them both for halibut but the loop connection is what I have decided is best, with help from a friend that works for the IPHC.

http://www.iphc.int/

Mark Twain