Snaps, split rings or what?

Started by Mandelstam, March 27, 2014, 06:11:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mandelstam

More input needed from you big game fishing people.

I'm thinking about how to best rig my lures when I go fishing for some giant halibut. The plan is to have a 10' rubbing leader (wind on) of 150lb mono, then a 3-4' 150-200lb mono trace, with a swivel in between them. Sounds ok so far? I'll be using 10-15" softbaits mostly.

But then comes the part I can't really decide on. I don't want to have a snap close to the lure as I know they can break open while fighting a fish, especially if it comes into a position where the lure acts as a lever on the snap. I've had it happen myself. So that leaves split rings. But they can be pretty big and the eye on the lures are quite small. I'll be attaching assist hooks threw the eye as well. Another option I'm thinking about is to crimp the trace to the lure and have them pre-rigged. Then have a snap between the leader and the trace for quick lure changing. I'm thinking that if you move the snap away from the fish and the lure it will be fine and not risk snapping open.

Are snaps safe in this position? And what kind of snap should I be looking for? I've heard good things about pigtail swivels but haven't found any supplier that ships to Europe.

How would you setup your leader-trace-lure for safety but also quick interchangeability between lures?

Thankful for some input!

Karl

"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

OldSchool

Are you using a snap with a rolling swivel or just the snap.   

Keta

No snaps or split ring use knots and welded (silver brazed) butt rings.
Hi, my name is Lee and I have a fishing gear problem.

I have all of the answers, yup, no, maybe.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Karl: I am not sure if I understand your set-up.  How heavy is the line on the reel? Assuming heavy Spectra finish it off with a 150lb clip.  Put a barrel swivel on your rubbing leader and attach the lure directly to the lure with a crimp. You will want to keep the lure lively so make a Flemish loop in front of the crimp.  Dominick
Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

Quote from: Dominick on March 28, 2014, 03:49:55 AM
Karl: I am not sure if I understand your set-up.  How heavy is the line on the reel? Assuming heavy Spectra finish it off with a 150lb clip.  Put a barrel swivel on your rubbing leader and attach the lure directly to the lure with a crimp. You will want to keep the lure lively so make a Flemish loop in front of the crimp.  Dominick

Or crimps.

A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
Mark Twain

Dominick

Leave the gun.  Take the cannolis.

There are two things I don't like about fishing.  Getting up early in the morning and boats.  The rest of it is fun.

Keta

Mark Twain

Jeri

Hi Karl,

I would rig up straight from the big game 'play book'. Wind-on leader rigged at the end with a big power swivel and 'tournament snap', crimped to the leader – a 'tournament snap' rather than any other type, as they are stronger and very reliable. Sampo or Rosco.

The lures are all then rigged individually on their own leaders, crimped loop at the lure end, with either a Flemish Loop or even just a stainless steel thimble. The issue here has always been that during a long fight the mono will rub on the steel of the hook or lure, and may weaken during a long fight – so either double up the mono (Flemish Loop), or use a thimble. At the other end either just a power swivel or a thimble loop – again crimped.

Personally, I prefer stainless steel thimbles for really heavy duty mono, or in lighter cases nylon thimbles are just as good. You are looking for a little flexibility, so the lure can move accordingly – so look at the size of the eye on your lures.

With all your lures rigged this way, then you can change as they get damaged, or change colours. Have always found that you need to keep it simple and reliable – fish aren't impressed with seriously fancy rigs. If you are using Assist hooks alongside the main lure, then stainless steel thimbles will probably offer the best solution.

Lastly, crimps should be double barrel type, copper or aluminium, crimped with a proper double crimp tool. Avoid single barrel crimps like the plague, they fail frequently.

Hope that helps

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

Mandelstam

Quote from: Jeri on March 28, 2014, 05:30:17 AM
Hi Karl,

I would rig up straight from the big game 'play book'. Wind-on leader rigged at the end with a big power swivel and 'tournament snap', crimped to the leader – a 'tournament snap' rather than any other type, as they are stronger and very reliable. Sampo or Rosco.

The lures are all then rigged individually on their own leaders, crimped loop at the lure end, with either a Flemish Loop or even just a stainless steel thimble. The issue here has always been that during a long fight the mono will rub on the steel of the hook or lure, and may weaken during a long fight – so either double up the mono (Flemish Loop), or use a thimble. At the other end either just a power swivel or a thimble loop – again crimped.

Personally, I prefer stainless steel thimbles for really heavy duty mono, or in lighter cases nylon thimbles are just as good. You are looking for a little flexibility, so the lure can move accordingly – so look at the size of the eye on your lures.

With all your lures rigged this way, then you can change as they get damaged, or change colours. Have always found that you need to keep it simple and reliable – fish aren't impressed with seriously fancy rigs. If you are using Assist hooks alongside the main lure, then stainless steel thimbles will probably offer the best solution.

Lastly, crimps should be double barrel type, copper or aluminium, crimped with a proper double crimp tool. Avoid single barrel crimps like the plague, they fail frequently.

Hope that helps

Cheers from sunny Africa

Jeri

It was something like that I was thinking about! Thanks for breaking it down for me Jeri!

Karl
"Fish," he said softly, aloud, "I'll stay with you until I am dead." - Santiago, Old Man And the Sea

Keta

Halibut are not that powerful, even large ones.   I've always used 50#-65# main line, 5' 50# topshots and 100#-150# leader.  No snaps or split rings.  My topshots atachement is L2L and my leader is attached to my topshot with a heavy ball bearing swivel.

Mark Twain

Mandelstam

Most people I've seen fish for butts in Norway just use maybe a 6' 150lb leader connected to their mainline and a split ring for attaching lures. And I guess that's fine, works for them anyway. I just wanted some extra rubbing safety. Your setup sounds nice Lee, maybe I'll scale down the topshot/rubbing leader to 50-60lb. Actually it sounds like a wise decision. Less water resistance as well.

But how do you attach your lures? Knots?

Karl

Keta

Most of the time I use dead bait with circle hooks.  I'll get a photo today.

Mark Twain

Mandelstam

Quote from: Keta on March 28, 2014, 11:44:42 AM
Most of the time I use dead bait with circle hooks.  I'll get a photo today.

;D ;D

I love pictures!

OldSchool

Here is a 100lb twisted leader of about 15ft, the loop end is joined via catspaw to bimini twist to the mainline with 250lb swivel crimped with  250lb split ring. Highly abrasive resistant, we use them for the big stuff that wants to pull you into around the reef and acts as a great shock leader for the big takes and allows you to wind right up to the reel with the leader.

Mandelstam

Quote from: OldSchool on March 28, 2014, 12:33:59 PM
Here is a 100lb twisted leader of about 15ft, the loop end is joined via catspaw to bimini twist to the mainline with 250lb swivel crimped with  250lb split ring. Highly abrasive resistant, we use them for the big stuff that wants to pull you into around the reef and acts as a great shock leader for the big takes and allows you to wind right up to the reel with the leader.

I like it! Simplicity!

Thanks for the pic!