Abu Garcia AG Seven gearsleeve bearing upgrade

Started by Tile, March 27, 2014, 08:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tile

The Abu Garcia AG Seven is the budget model of the 7000i series and there is no antireverse bearing (only the dog and ratchet system). The reel has a plastic spacer between the bellevile stack and the drag star and it doesn't come in contact with the inside of the boss which can lead to premature wear and loosening of the gearsleeve post. The inner diameter of the boss is 17 mm and the replacement bearing and spacers for the 7000C models is a perfect fit.

To begin the upgrade, remove the handle lock screw, lockplate, handle nut and the gearsleeve e-clip
In solid fiberglass we trust

Tile

Then unbolt the drag star and extract the bellevilles, the bellevilles are oriented  ((.  

Tile

Then install the bellevilles in the () configuration and slip the inner brass spacer, bearing and outer spacer.

Tile

Then the drag star is bolted back on the gearsleeve. Before putting the handle back on the gearsleeve the antilock spring and steel washer have to be put back first. The handle is put back on the gearsleeve, the e-clip is also put in its place, the handle nut, lock plate and lock screw are mounted in reverse order of them being unbolted.
Also the drag washers can be changed with Carbontex ones (the 6 washer kit for the 7000i series)

Ken_D

Kewl. Reel not sold in Canada as far as I can tell, at least not in BC. The rep had never heard of this reel.  Here's a drawing.
http://www.ereplacementparts.com/abu-garcia-seven-ambassadeur-parts-c-187196_187197_194446.html

Tile

This reel is sold within the EU. I purchased mine online from Amazon UK. PureFishing are known for having localized models of reels (the Penn Kimberley - an Abu Garcia 7000 style reel for the australian market).

fisher480

Tile

My AG Seven came with brass bushes for the spool assembly, the gearsleeve bush and the stock drag washers which were not quite up to spec. I went for it because it has an excellent modding/upgrade potential.

pointbob

sorry to rewake an old thread but what is "the boss"? and where did you get the inner and outer brass spacer from? love to get the part numbers...haven't had luck

The inner diameter of [size=8]the boss is 17 mm[/size] and the replacement bearing and spacers for the 7000C models is a perfect fit.
Patience comes to those who wait

pointbob

so i'm in the situation where i have the abu 7 recently bought...i want to upgrade too...just confirming the part numbers...

I'm guess the IAR sleeve (any 7000c3 iar sleeve would fit?) and the ball bearings...but how many bearings to replace the bushings?...

i ask because on another site they mention 3 or 4  bearings in the abu Seven- they do an examination of the difference among 3 abu 7000 models (pretty sure the 7000i is the same as the abu 7)...im guessing 4 bearings needed to replace the bushings on the 7...2 bearings on the end spool cap adjustments and 2 more on the spool it self...?

https://catfishfreaks.proboards.com/thread/1459/abu-garcia-7000-models-differ
Patience comes to those who wait

Tile

The boss is the cylindrical part attached to the sideplate where the black plastic sleeve is located on the AG Seven reels. The upgrade takes in total 3 bearings: two for the spool assembly and the larger one for the handle. It is worth noting that the AG Seven brakeplate has a shorter handle shaft as compared to the regular 7000i one.